Autism study for pregnant moms

  • Carol Blackman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2008
      Please contact Kathy Henley directly at her email addy below if you know
      anyone who might be interested.
      Carol

      Recruiting families for Autism Research studies in Oregon City, OR
      Posted by: "henleyjks@..." henleyjks@... henleykathy
      Date: Thu Jun 5, 2008 12:43 pm ((PDT))

      Friends,

      Dr. Gene Stubbs and I have been approved by an Institutional Review Board to
      do studies on autism, one study on probiotics and a separate study on
      vitamin D. We want to try to prevent the recurrence of autism in newborn
      siblings in families that already have at least one child with autism. We
      are looking for families who are currently early in their pregnancy or are
      considering becoming pregnant.
      In the first study, we would be giving probiotics first to the mother in her
      third trimester of pregnancy, and then, to the newborn baby for two years.
      In the vitamin D study mothers who are pregnant will be started on 5000 IU
      daily of Vitamin D3. The dose of Vitamin D will be increased to 7000 IU
      daily after the baby is delivered if the mother breast feeds the child. If
      the mother bottle feeds the baby, the baby will be given 1000 IU per day
      during the first year and increased to 2000 IU per day during the second
      year.
      We would like to ask you for help in getting the word out to the autism
      community, especially the young families in the Portland, OR and Vancouver,
      WA metro areas. We are looking for 40 families for each of the studies.
      Thanks for your help getting the word out!
      KH