Introduction

  • MomWUx2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2007
      First, I would like to say that I am so glad I found you!  This is our first year homeschooling although we have been considering it for about 8 years.  Until this year my son, Austin (10), attended a charter school in the David Douglas school district (Portland) and while we were happy with his education, it no longer met the needs of our family.  We have 2 children, Austin and Kennedy (6).  My husband and I live on the same property with my parents as they help us care for our children and we hope to care for them as they get older and move in to retirement.  We have been living in the same house with them for the last 4 years and while my parents are currently staying with my sister and her family, they are in the process of putting a second house here.  In May 2005, our daughter was diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukemia.  She has done well in treatment and is now in remission (although she has just over 6 months of maintenance chemotherapy left in her protocol).  As a result of the chemotherapy and radiation to her brain, she has developed learning disabilities that include, but are not limited to, difficulty with motor planning and very slow auditory processing.  Her intelligence is intact she just struggles with the processing part of it.  She is learning very well and we are proud of both our children this year.  We are still figuring out our path and are doing a combination of workbook curriculum and unit studies.  Navigating all the curriculum options out there has been a daunting process :)  We enjoy reading, gardening (thank heaven spring is coming!), camping, baseball, soccer, ballet and rodeo.  We are excited to meet other families in our area and I look forward to hearing other home education stories.

      Melenie

      www.courage4kennedy.com
      "Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
      John Wayne
    • Laura
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 12 2:14 PM
        Hi,

        My name is Laura and I have 4 children and 1 grandchild. I
        homeschooled my oldest children from the begining and then they went
        to public, private or homeschooled during and after the divorce. My
        youngest (several years younger than the others) started off in
        public school and knew less at the end of K than when he had started.

        I had tried since he was an infant to get some help or Dx for him
        that would make sense, but was always told he was very bright and
        happy and there was nothing wrong that I should be worried about.

        At some point of the second time through K (after trying 1st grade
        and being completely unprepared for it and returning to K) his
        behaviour became out of control and frightening to himself and
        others. I once again tried to get help for him and was at first told
        that maybe I was the one who needed help and just that the stress of
        everything was making it hard to see he was just fine. While the
        doctor left the room to get get a psychologist to schedual an
        appointment for me, my son started into the mode I had been telling
        everyone about, but they had not yet seen. He was full blown and then
        some by the time she returned and all the doctor could say was, " I
        have never seen him like this before!".

        We got an appointment with a child psychologist and psychiatrist and
        both agreed that there wasn't enough to go on and that maybe he
        should just be home and that I should be home with him. I was living
        with my mother at that point and my 1 year possition with county was
        almost up, so I stayed home and started schooling him, just as I had
        the older children. Which did not work well for him.

        After moving to Oregon a few years later, he wanted to try public
        school again, but this time it was with with disaterous concequinces.
        However, that did finally set us on a path to at least getting a Dx
        for him and eventually SSI.

        He is PDD with a ton of other things going on as well, but one on
        one, comes across as very kind, polite, smart, funny etc or if the
        meeting somehow set off some triggers he then comes across as a good
        canditate for the hosptial (or even a few time with people he
        aldready knows and once in a very public setting with anohter person
        and one also in a pubic setting with me).

        He is/was doing better at controling himself sometimes, but now that
        puberty is hitting, that is changing things once again and I am
        having to learn everything with him all over again it seems.

        He is in the 6th grade now, would be 7th, but I kept him in K when I
        started homeschooling him, thinking we could get caught up. He does
        mostly 4th grade work, but is also VERY dyslexic and reads at about a
        1st grade level. I am just finishing up The Gift of Dyslexia and
        hoping to make some improvments in that area for him and hopefully in
        ohter areas as well.

        My 19 year old daughter (the youngest of the 3 older children), and
        my 10 month old grand daughter also live with me which makes things
        interesting in and of itself at times.

        Well, that really is the condenced version, sorry it was so long.
        I look forward to learning from others and maybe even being able to
        share some things we have learned along the way as well.

        Laura P.
      • brandi m
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2008
          Hi All!    I am a mother to a 14 yr old girl who has hemiplegia CP, and she is in 9th grade at Westview High School ( beaverton), and this year is terrible for her. The work they give her in the ALC (assisted learning center) is too easy and the work in the regular classes is too hard, so I am now thinking about home schooling her (even tho I work full time). She is an only child, and I am concerned about peer interaction and social skills with her being alone. I dont know how to go about starting to formally home school, although I give her work at home on a regular basis from EdHelper.com. I was privately schooled using the ACE curriculum but I dont think that is around anymore. I need some help/advice, etc. from all of you moms who have gone through it. I am also concerned about her listening to me if i was to become her teacher/ mother. Sometimes its a fight just to do the work I give her at home, let along if i home school her. Any advice?

          Thanks!!
          Brandi

        • Carol Blackman
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2008
            I have to work most of the time myself, so understand your dilemma.  My son is 16 and uses Clackamas Web Academy online classes.  The teacher comes every couple weeks to oversee things.  We have an IEP so he gets speech therapy at the local high school.  The one advantage to CWA is they automatically check the answers (saves a working mom a LOT of time!) and he will eventually get a diploma (when he's 19 at the rate we're going).  The curriculum is NOT a good as what I used homeschooling.  It's Odyssey which is supposed to be a version of Switched on Schoolhouse but there is evolution in it, the 10th grade History was disgusting, but we got out of the first unit by writing a paper about the difference in what we believe about the origin of man, and what they believe.  But that evolutionary thread continues through the year on a lesser basis, but if she's in public school, she's used to evolution.  Because I have to read the lessons to Christopher I see NUMEROUS ERRORS and report the worst ones.  I offered to do proofreading last year for them, but they didn't know why they needed that, and now that there is evolution in things, I'm not offering again, I just report the gross errors every day or two.

            You may find a web academy in  your area that has more interaction locally, as the office for this one is in Clackamas and there are group classes, like the watershed class we take on Fridays, there.

            But homeschooling will give your daughter more accountability than the public school.  I worked in the public schools last year and was shocked at how much the Instructional Assistant was expected to do for the kids.  After Christopher heard how much I did for them, he began expecting more help and I began realizing I had been far harder on him than maybe was necessary, HOWEVER, I do feel he will be a better worker in the long run, having had to do more for himself than rely on it being done for him.

            With the web academy, if the curriculum is too easy, you can switch to a later course.  If it's too hard, you may be able to get the semester before.

            My son has very slow processing skills so reading across the screen is like reading a wide page.  He does ok on column print but not on full wide pages, so I read his reading to him and his quizes and tests.  The teacher will send a test back if the grade is too poor.  The settings are such that if you don't get a good grade on assignments, they bounce right back for you to correct your mistakes.

            Is there a local youth group she might be able to participate in for social activities?   Some dyed-in-the-wool homeschoolers don't consider web academy people, homeschooling, but if you don't make a big issue of it, they may accept your family into their activities.  Because our teachers have come about once every 3 weeks, average, I definitely consider this homeschooling, however the principal, Mr. King, HATES to hear us say we CWA  families are homeschoolers.  I think the families who NEED a teacher get home visits far more often than we do.  The teachers realize there is little for them to do other than check off his PE list and read his journal entries, so they don't come very often.  We will probably have the same teacher as we have this year, for the rest of his years, as now they have high schoolers having certain teachers, rather than one teacher taking care of all different grade levels in a home.

            If you don't feel web academy would be best, go to the homeschool sales (they should be coming up really soon), and look over the curriculum.  I did that and it made it much easier to find things that were suited to my son's needs through the years.  I admit I only used 1/2 what I bought as some things weren't suited to his needs, but at least the cost was less, getting used curriculum.

            Exodus Provisions http://www.exodusbooks.com/ in Oregon City is a really NEAT place to browse, and I think there is a place in Sherwood that sells homeschool curriculum also.

            It won't be easy, working full-time, but your daughter will get more out of her studies doing them at home!  I've seen both sides and there is NO comparison!

            Richest Blessings,
            Carol in Colton
[...]

          • Connie Kyker
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2008
              ACE is still around. We home schooled with their curriculum. As for the listening....they don't listen when you are not their teacher...because you are just their mom and they feel you don't have the authority or know what has gone on in the classroom and therefore don't know what you are doing. As soon as you become their only teacher, suddenly you know all and they listen and give you authority. At least that is the way it was for us.
              Connie

              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2008
                Sorry, I forgot to put in ACE's web site. Here it is:

                Message 7 of 7 , May 7, 2008
                  Hi Brandi,

                  My advice--don't do it! Have you tried working on the
                  problem with the school? I was just at the district
                  web page and they have a lot of options for special ED
                  tailored to fit specific needs. The work being too
                  easy is better than it being too hard! If you are
                  fighting over doing the work that is too easy, then it
                  will be even worse with harder work (I have to fight
                  with my kids over homework too). And, she will treat
                  you as her mom even though you are taking on the role
                  of teacher (been there). It all equals a whole lot
                  more work for you, and you are already supplementing
                  her work, as you said. I know as moms we want the
                  absolute best for our children, but you matter too,
                  and sometimes you just have to accept that not
                  everything is 100% how you'd like it. Homeschooling
                  will bring with it a bunch of different problems too,
                  and then you will feel responsible for absolutely
                  everything (including the friend/social situation),
                  and it's just not fair to you. I would keep doing what
                  your doing, try to work with the school district,
                  maybe switch her to a different program (which may be
                  at a different school), and just hope next year is
                  better (maybe with a different teacher), and keep
                  supplementing if you feel she is missing some things.
                  As moms, we can't do everything, even though we would
                  like to think we can. Having to work outside the home
                  makes it even harder.

                  Cheers to all you do!
                  Leah