introduce myself

  • Gary and Claudia Christie
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hi,
          I am new to the group. I homeschool two special needs kids. My daughter is 15 1/2 and has ADD. My son, who is my reason for beginning our homeschool life, is 14 1/2 and has severe OCD, ADD and dysgraphia- a phobia of writing. (yeah, really!) Both my kids have gone to Village Home since last winter, just one term after it opened. We may stop in the spring due to certain issues.
          I teach a class at the Washington County NAMI for parents and full time care givers of children with brain disorders (mental illness) We also have a monthly support group. That is about all- just wanted to introduce us to the group!
          Claudia
    • Deanna Gann
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
        Hi Claudia,

        Welcome!  I am familiar with dysgraphia, as alot of ASD kids have it.  Is your son's output good if he can dictate, or does he keyboard?

        The issues that you mention surrounding Village Home...are these issues that would impact a family who was just beginnning to attend?  Or would we be clueless since we haven't been to Village before?  I am keeping in mind, that one families's issues might not hold for another's:-)

        Again, welcome!

        Deanna
        Mom to Briget, almost 9, ASD and Erin, almost 6, not.....

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
          Hi Deanna, Thanks for the welcome. My son dictates well and does some
          keyboarding. He will write some but if nobody is watching. When I
          pulled him out of school I totally backed off the writing thing and
          only recently he has expressed a desire to try it. He is anxious
          about the future and the need to write. I totally think it is linked
          to his OCD and the need for perfection, he is not a perfect writer
          and spells badly so it makes him very anxious and panicy. Seems to be
          going better letting him work it out on him own timeline.
          As for Village. The kids enjoy it to a point but it has become a
          lot like school this term. Also there are so many money issues and
          enrollment issues depending on district that it is making me a little
          squirmy! They are a great program but they need a lot of support and
          ehlp with meetings, letter writing etc. They deserve it all and I
          don't have it to give so I feel kind of guilty. Also it seems like I
          am spending more time on the politics and logistics than I am on the
          fun. Just my opinion- love the school, teachers and classes. Just
          dislike the money tensions and red tape. Claudia

          --- In Special_HS_OR@yahoogroups.com, "Deanna Gann" <deecgann@e...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Claudia,
          >
          > Welcome! I am familiar with dysgraphia, as alot of ASD kids have
          it. Is your son's output good if he can dictate, or does he keyboard?

          > The issues that you mention surrounding Village Home...are these
          issues that would impact a family who was just beginnning to attend?
          Or would we be clueless since we haven't been to Village before? I
          am keeping in mind, that one families's issues might not hold for
          another's:-)

          > Again, welcome!
          >
          > Deanna
          > Mom to Briget, almost 9, ASD and Erin, almost 6, not.....

        • Cate Hickman
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
            Hi Claudia, Deanna, and everyone,

            I've been sleeping more and am a few days behind on email :-). Anyway, welcome Claudia. I understand your son wanting to be perfect about writing. I used to work as a writer and editor, and am "fussy" about that kind of thing too, though I'm not perfect, I used to get paid for it :-). It could be a career for him someday if he's able to relax about it - ?

            Where/when are your NAMI classes and support group? Maybe some of us on the list would benefit them. It's great that you're doing them!

            Village Home still sounds great to me, even if it's having to get more official about things. I like that they're accepting, and the parent can stay.

            Cate

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
              Hi Cate,
                  The support group is at the NAMI in Washington County on T.V. highway in Aloha. It is held the first Thursday of the month- so this Thursday at 7 PM. Anyone can find out more about the class (called "Visions For Tomorrow") and all the other classes offered on their web page: www.namiwash.org    I know that Multnomah has classes as well. It is well worth the time. There is allot of information to learn from and even if you are up on everything- it is great to network. As far as I know there is not a class start scheduled in Washington County at this time. I am the only certified Teacher in the county and I am burned out- I work part time, homeschool, parent a mentally ill child..... My schedule is insane! One of the reasons I am contemplating leaving Village Home. It is a great resource. We are really fortunate to have it. I think we just need time off. Plus my kids are both doing their high school programs which is allot more disciplined and time consuming. Plus I need to schedule classes around my work schedule. We started off last year with the kids doing guitar which we liked and ceramics which they LOVED. Right now they do watercolors which they LOVE and a few other things they like. I find the atmosphere very excepting of all the kids and with the parent being right there they feel secure and there is a lot less chance of kids being mean. Earlier this year I did have an experience of two boys telling my son he was retarded- I was in my daughters class at the time. He has been in public school and is used to worse so he was mad but dealt with it. Honestly what made him mad- it was surprising because we have found Village so excepting that was the first time anything like that happened, so it took him off guard. Anyhow- if you have the time and energy I would recommend trying the school. It is an 8 week commitment- you have to re-register each term. It is not long to try a class and see if it works for you.
              Claudia

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
                Thank you, Claudia. I'm sorry your son had that bad experience with the mean boys there. Thank you for the link, too, we'll check it out. I hope you're able to take a breather soon :). - Cate
[...]

              • Connie Kyker
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
                  (Snip)
                  Hi Deanna, Thanks for the welcome. My son dictates well and does some
                  keyboarding. He will write some but if nobody is watching. When I
                  pulled him out of school I totally backed off the writing thing and
                  only recently he has expressed a desire to try it. He is anxious
                  about the future and the need to write. I totally think it is linked
                  to his OCD and the need for perfection, he is not a perfect writer
                  and spells badly so it makes him very anxious and panicy. Seems to be
                  going better letting him work it out on him own timeline.

                  Hi Claudia,
                  I have a son with OCD as well. He has been homeschooled since day 1 because I could never imagine him making it in the classroom. He has had issues with both reading and writing in the past. Last year he couldn't read, especially to himself, because he didn't feel he was enunciating perfectly enough. We had to up his dose of Prozac so he could function in school.  I don't know if you have seen my past posts but my son has the worst case of OCD his psychologist has ever seen. Oh and the youngest case, starting at 2 1/2 or 3 years old. He is doing well at home though as long as we keep his medication regulated.
                  Connie

                • Connie Kyker
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
                    Claudia,
                    My son was reading over my shoulder and told me to tell you, "I have OCD and I know a lot how he feels". Ahh, isn't that sweet?
                    Connie
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
                      Connie,
                          That is sweet- how old is he? Ian is 14 and a half now. He is severely impaired but doing well on a cocktail of meds. He would not at all function without them. We found an amazing doc that deals with OCD and runs a local support group. We have been through hospitalizations and all kinds of horrors. My husband has it too. My son presented at about 5 but looking back there were subtle things earlier. Do you know about "PANDAS"? How the strep throat can make the OCD worse, or even trigger it along with other rheumatic illnesses? That is what happened with Ian. It was not bad and then he got sick and overnight he was mentally ill. Scary. He is amazing and we all have risen to the challenge. One day at a time! Home school is SO much better for him. It was exciting for me to hear you are out there and understand. A lot of people think I should be making Ian go to school and push "through it." They don't understand the level of anxieties and the time consuming compulsions make it near impossible. He went to school till 5th and would NEVER eat lunch there because he could never buy- after someone else touched it. I would pack for him everyday and he could not let any of it touch the desk of table. The lunch came home everyday and got eaten on out table after school. I could go on and on- like having to get all Velcro shoes because we had obsessions and compulsions with laces... on and on ugh! Now that Ian is older we have been using the book "Brain Lock." It has different methods to break these obsessions and compultions. The only thing I don't like is that they doc that wrote it is anti meds and I believe the meds saved his life. At any rate the exercises have helped him a lot- but it took till he was about this age to tackle them. Thanks for sharing!
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
                        Claudia,
                        Stephen is 10. And I believe the meds saved his life as well. We noticed at 5 months old how upset he got when his rice cereal would spill on the table. By 3 he was washing his hands until they bled, wouldn't wear pants without belts or sandals without socks. By age 8 he was checking his hands every couple of minutes front and back, then his feet. He wouldn't go outside for fear of stepping on germs, especially if dogs were around. He wouldn't even touch his sisters for fear they had germs on them. He wouldn't touch the counter tops or tables in our house. He had to pull the door knob 10 times every time he shut the door. He had to stare at the light 10 seconds to"make sure" it was off every time he turned out the light. He had to check the clothes in his closet every few minutes to make sure they were hanging straight. by age 9 he was threatening suicide and telling us what how he was going to do it. Around that same time he got to the point that he couldn't read or write because the words didn't feel right or look right. Yes debilitating and No, people don't understand. I also have friends who say he needs to go to school to learn how to work this out. A friend the other day said, "It sure was good to see Stephen getting muddy the other day, remember when he wouldn't do that?" I didn't bother to remind her that the only reason he is able to do that is because of his medicine. Even on the medicine he has issues. Most recently he has been smelling his hands every once in awhile. But without the meds he has no self confidence and has to ask me for help with every detail in his life because he is always second guessing whether what he is doing is good enough. I would love to get him off the medicine but I am not sure it is possible. They said the best time to try is around 12 years of age. We'll see. I have not heard about PANDAS. I will look into that book too. I am focusing on my daughter who has been diagnosed with Autism at the moment. I really wonder sometimes if OCD and Autism are related somehow.
                        Connie
                      • Gary and Claudia Christie
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
                          Connie,
                              UGH! Sounds so familiar. We tried so hard w/o medication until the day I asked Ian if he wanted to talk to Dad on the phone- he said- only if I held the phone. He had just washed his hands. He was five or 6 at the time. We had to clean everything to kill germs- then we progressed to having to clean BUT with a cleaner that would kill germs and be non poisonous!  Between 9 and 10 is when Ian became suicidal as well and was hospitalized. He was undermedicated. Honestly- we never would have been able to stop meds at 12 but I guess everyone is different. I can tell if he misses one dose. It is a delicate balance- puberty has been hard but we are as close to normal right now as we have been for a while. Ian sniffs and smells everything. He can be pretty discreet about it. It is considered a "tic".
                              Have to run make dinner but below is the link to a site that talks about the strep and rheumatic thing I mentioned before.