How is your year going?

  • deannagann
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2005
      Hello,

      How is everyone's year going? I know that some of you are
      homeschooling and that some of you are not:-) Are you all happy with
      the way things are going? Are you finding the support you need? I'd
      really like for this group to get some conversation going.

      We've had a pretty good year so far. This is the first year I've had
      my oldest dd in ps at all. She attends a K-3 here in the Scappoose
      School District. I struggle to get her math done each morning before
      she leaves, and also do her Language Arts here at home. She has a
      good aide, SLP, Speech Asst. and enjoys being there for the most
      part. I struggle with communication between myself and the Resource
      Room teacher who is new to Warren Elementary this year. In some ways
      it's easier when she is at school part-time, but mostly it's added
      stress:-)

      On the positive side, she's been to a birthday party, enjoyed the
      Halloween Dress-Up Assembly, and been in the Winter Music Program,
      which she loved.

      This is my fourth year homeschooling, and I do have a younger child
      who is hs'ing for Kindy this year. She takes Gymnastics, Tap and is
      in a Choir. Except for this month, when we dropped Gymnastics, and
      added homeschool swim lessons and a Co-op class. She's a busy girl.

      We all enjoy going to the Game Night at Pilgrim Lutheran. Bridget
      swims at the Beaverton Pool on weekends, and I hope to start social
      skills classes out here soon. I'm also considering having Bridget
      attend release-time chapel through the ps. They go twice per month,
      and her aide would go with her.

      What's happening with you all?

      Deanna
    • ginagrrg
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 11, 2005
        Deanna,
        Glad to finally see some activity on the list! Overall things are
        going well. I think we are FINALLY finding that balance between
        academics at home and classes in the community. My youngest started
        preschool last week so that has been big excitement for us. She is
        very happy to be following in her big brother's and sister's
        footsteps. She even has the same teacher her sister had a few years
        back. My other children did make me promise not to send her to public
        kindergarten however LOL. I have to admit it is very nice to have
        some time each week to do uninterrupted schoolwork with the older two.

        Right now my biggest challenge is finding a gaming group for my 10 yo.
        He needs a social outlet and is very interested in learning Dungeons
        and Dragons although both he and my 7 yo just want to hang out and
        play games with other homeschoolers. Is your game night secular or
        Christian in orientation?
        Gina

        > We all enjoy going to the Game Night at Pilgrim Lutheran.
        >
        > What's happening with you all?
        >
        > Deanna
      • Deanna Gann
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 11, 2005
          Hi Gina,

          This particular Game Night is hosted by a Christian mom's group. There is
          nothing overtly Christian about the evening, though some of the prizes for
          games have included a necklace with a small fish in it, with the word
          Jesus. The scavenger hunt had us looking for things inside the church,
          including a cross, a picture of Jesus etc.

          This Friday, Eric Hamblin from Project PACE will be there to lead the group
          in some games taken from RDI., or Relationship Development.

          It sounds like things are going well for you guys. Have you ever been to
          Rainy Day Games in Aloha (I think)?? I wonder if any of the kids that
          attend are doing D & D? None of the kids at this Game Night are playing
          anything so complicated!

          Great to hear from you!

          Deanna

        • Cate Hickman
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 12, 2005
            Hi Gina and Deanna,
            I keep meaning to get us over to Game Night. It sounds good. I know Eric Hamblin, we used to go to PACE. That sounds like a good evening. It's from 7-9pm, right?
            Thanks,
            Cate
            This particular Game Night is hosted by a Christian mom's group.  There is
            nothing overtly Christian about the evening, though some of the prizes for
            games have included a necklace with a small fish in it, with the word
            Jesus.  The scavenger hunt had us looking for things inside the church,
            including a cross, a picture of Jesus etc.

            This Friday, Eric Hamblin from Project PACE will be there to lead the group
            in some games taken from RDI., or Relationship Development.

            It sounds like things are going well for you guys.  Have you ever been to
            Rainy Day Games in Aloha (I think)??  I wonder if any of the kids that
            attend are doing D & D?  None of the kids at this Game Night are playing
            anything so complicated!

            Great to hear from you!

            Deanna

          • Deanna Gann
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 12, 2005
              Hi Cate,

              Game Night is from 6:30-8:30pm.

              Hope to see you there, Deanna

              I keep meaning to get us over to Game Night. It sounds good. I know Eric Hamblin, we used to go to PACE. That sounds like a good evening. It's from 7-9pm, right?
              Thanks,
              Cate
              This particular Game Night is hosted by a Christian mom's group.  There is
              nothing overtly Christian about the evening, though some of the prizes for
              games have included a necklace with a small fish in it, with the word
              Jesus.  The scavenger hunt had us looking for things inside the church,
              including a cross, a picture of Jesus etc.

              This Friday, Eric Hamblin from Project PACE will be there to lead the group
              in some games taken from RDI., or Relationship Development.

              It sounds like things are going well for you guys.  Have you ever been to
              Rainy Day Games in Aloha (I think)??  I wonder if any of the kids that
              attend are doing D & D?  None of the kids at this Game Night are playing
              anything so complicated!

              Great to hear from you!

              Deanna

            • ginagrrg
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 12, 2005
                Thanks for the quick reply Deanna. Drats. I don't think the game
                night will work for us. The problem with Rainy Day Games is that they
                don't welcome little ones (with good reason) and I have a very busy 4
                yo. Otherwise things are going very well. I feel like I finally have
                gotten the hang of this homeschooling business. Yippee!
                Gina