Moving adjective in front of noun?

  • Bob Dey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 2:40 AM
      I found this gem of wisdom in a Spanish newspaper article:

      Padres buenos hay muchos; pero buenos padres hay pocos.

      Does moving buenos from after to before the noun change its meaning? How should this be translated? I suspect it's trying to say something like, "There are many good (or ok) parents; but few really good ones." If so, wouldn't there be a clearer, more direct way to say it in Spanish? This construction seems a bit subtle, if not downright confusing.

      Google Translate, by the way, provides this useless (but quite literal) result: "There are many good parents; but few good parents."

      Have a nice dey!
      Bob Dey
      -Sent from my iPad
    • apg gupta
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2 12:42 AM
        This usdage is normal in Romance laanguages.  Your 'gem of wisdom in spanish" would read something like as given below in English

        " There are many good parents but really great(ones) are few"

        Dra Anand