The expression "¡Ponte bien!"

  • Daniel Hanson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2011
      Hello, everyone!

      Today I was making some vocab. PowerPoints in
      preparation for the chapter we will be starting in Spanish II. One of
      the vocab. themes or subcategories deals with grooming and personal
      hygiene. One of the expressions used in one of the vocab. illustrations
      in the book is: "¡Ponte bien!". Based on my intuition, my use of
      context clues, and my consulting with a native Mexican speaker, I was
      able to comprehend that "¡Ponte bien!" means `¡Arréglate
      [bien]'. I am intrigued by this expression and by the fact that none
      of my Spanish-English dictionaries have this expression listed. Can
      anyone explain why this is?

      I would like to know in what registers (for example, is it a colloquial
      command?) and in what contexts or situations is this expression use? For
      some reason, my brain is only associating the use of "ponerse
      bien" in commands (or "órdenes poco formales"). Why is that?
      Is this expression used throughout the Spanish-speaking world or is it
      mainly used just in Mexico and in Spain?

      Sincerely,

      Daniel Hanson

      Atwater, California, USA

      P.D. Pueden contestar en español si gustan. [:D]

    • alejandro delaluz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2011
        "Ponte bien" is used to wish some one a soon recovery from an illness, pehaps in
        this case may not seem to be propperlly associated with gruming, for me
        "arreglate" is the most used expresion

        Alejandro de la Luz Dávalos