Pastel de crema

  • Daniel Hanson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 25, 2010
      What is "pastel de crema"? What would it be like in English? The context is Puerto Rico, according to the ¡En Español! Level II textbook, Unit 1 Chapter 2. I can't tell from the picture what it really is and I haven't heard of that term before.

      Thanks!
      Daniel Hanson
      Public High School Spanish Teacher
      Atwater, California, USA
    • alejandro delaluz
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 26, 2010
        Well as there are recipies for cakes, there could be answers, so that is the given name for that paricular cake in Puerto Rico, I may see the picture and here in Mëxico it may be know under another name. So I  would dare to say it is as simple as a "Cream Cake".

        Let`s see the others answers I would like to see what they say .

        Alejandro de la Luz Dávalos

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 27, 2010
          Alejandro de la Luz Ávalos,

          I've never heard "cream cake" as a native speaker of English. I've heard of "cream pie". My point of reference is the United States, particularly the Western United States.

          Daniel Hanson
          Atwater, California, USA

          --- In Spanish_English_Translation_Help_Group@yahoogroups.com, alejandro delaluz <alejandro_l_d@...> wrote:

          > Well as there are recipies for cakes, there could be answers, so that is the given name for that paricular cake in Puerto Rico, I may see the picture and here in Mëxico it may be know under another name. So I  would dare to say it is as simple as a "Cream Cake".
          >
          > Let`s see the others answers I would like to see what they say .
          >
          > Alejandro de la Luz Dávalos
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Daniel Hanson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 27, 2010
            I'm wondering if that's what people use in certain countries to say, "cheese cake". What do you all think?

            Daniel

            --- In Spanish_English_Translation_Help_Group@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Hanson" <danhan22@...> wrote:

            > What is "pastel de crema"? What would it be like in English? The context is Puerto Rico, according to the ¡En Español! Level II textbook, Unit 1 Chapter 2. I can't tell from the picture what it really is and I haven't heard of that term before.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Daniel Hanson
            > Public High School Spanish Teacher
            > Atwater, California, USA
          • alejandro delaluz
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 27, 2010
              Pastel de queso Here in Mexico City

              Alejandro de la Luz Dávalos

              ________________________________
              I'm wondering if that's what people use in certain countries to say, "cheese cake". What do you all think?

              Daniel

              --- In Spanish_English_Translation_Help_Group@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Hanson" <danhan22@...> wrote:

              > What is "pastel de crema"? What would it be like in English? The context is Puerto Rico, according to the ¡En Español! Level II textbook, Unit 1 Chapter 2. I can't tell from the picture what it really is and I haven't heard of that term before.
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Daniel Hanson
              > Public High School Spanish Teacher
              > Atwater, California, USA

            • alejandro delaluz
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 27, 2010
                Yes you are right It  doesn`t sound right at all

                Alejandro de la Luz Dávalos

                ________________________________
                I've never heard "cream cake" as a native speaker of English. I've heard of "cream pie". My point of reference is the United States, particularly the Western United States.

                Daniel Hanson
                Atwater, California, USA

                --- In Spanish_English_Translation_Help_Group@yahoogroups.com, alejandro delaluz <alejandro_l_d@...> wrote:

                > Well as there are recipies for cakes, there could be answers, so that is the given name for that paricular cake in Puerto Rico, I may see the picture and here in Mëxico it may be know under another name. So I  would dare to say it is as simple as a "Cream Cake".
                >
                > Let`s see the others answers I would like to see what they say .
                >
                > Alejandro de la Luz Dávalos

              • Kawin, Naomi
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 28, 2010
                  My colleague from Puerto Rico says that on that island, "pastel" means a special type of cake made at Christmas time of mashed bananas and can be filled with pork or meat and other things, wrapped in banana leaves, folded in a rectangle, tied with a string, and then boiled in water with some seasoning.

                  "Bizcocho" is a cake.

                  "Pastelillo" is a pastry made with filo. The "crema" could be a pudding.