legal terminology

  • Kimberly
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 12, 2003
      Hello.
      I am trying to translate a few phrases and I am
      getting stuck with the details. I would appreciate
      anyones' suggestions for a better translation.

      Personal Information shall belong to the Subscriber
      == Informacio'n Personal se debe pertencer / pertenece
      al Suscriptor

      limitation of relief == limitacio'n de ayuda

      indemnify and hold harmless == indemnizar y ??

      If the account is in arrears, == Si la cuenta esta'
      atrasa,

      The foregoing notwithstanding, CompanyName will not be
      obligated under the Section 4 or otherwise for an
      infringement claim.....
      No obstante al anterior, CompanyName no sera' obligado
      bajo esta Seccio'n 4 o por otro para una reclamacio'n
      de violacio'n....

      Thank you so much for your assistance!!! Kimberly

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • CorinaJoyC@cs.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 12, 2003
        If you still need this on Saturday, please let me know...I am away from home
        and I have this information on my computer at home and can help you with most
        of it.

        -Corina

      • Iván Moratinos
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 13, 2003
          [Kimberly escribió 12/06/2003 18:47 (CET)]
          K> Hello.
          K> I am trying to translate a few phrases and I am
          K> getting stuck with the details.  I would appreciate
          K> anyones' suggestions for a better translation.

          I'm not an expert about this terminology (it looks like
          a banking contract) but I'll try :)

          K> Personal Information shall belong to the Subscriber
          K> == Informacio'n Personal se debe pertencer / pertenece
          K> al Suscriptor

          La información personal pertenecerá al suscriptor
          (or subscriptor)

          K> limitation of relief == limitacio'n de ayuda

          or limitación de auxilio (or alivio)

          K> indemnify and hold harmless == indemnizar y ??

          indemnizar y mantener seguridad (or inocuidad, or falta
          de daño, or falta de riesgo)

          I can't find a suitable translation. Everything sounds
          really bad :-/

          K> If the account is in arrears, == Si la cuenta esta'
          K> atrasa,

          Si la cuenta tiene atrasos [de pagos (?) maybe]

          K> The foregoing notwithstanding, CompanyName will not be
          K> obligated under the Section 4 or otherwise for an
          K> infringement claim.....
          K> No obstante al anterior, CompanyName no sera' obligado
          K> bajo esta Seccio'n 4 o por otro para una reclamacio'n
          K> de violacio'n....

          No obstante lo anterior, CompanyName no estará obligado
          bajo (según (?)) la Sección 4, o cualquier otra, a una
          demanda por infracción.

          This can be said in many different ways.

          Maybe if I have more context information...

          --
          Kind regards,
          Iván <ivan@...>
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 13, 2003
            Hello!

            Dear Kimberly, translating legal documents is a seriuos matter, if you are planning to charge for your translation, I advise you to find a good proofreader. Here, some suggestions:

            Hold Harmless: liberar o eximir de responsabilidad, mantener indemne, sacar a paz y en salvo (Mex.)

            Arreas: en mora, vencida, atrazada, retrazada.

            Infringement: infracción.

            Good luck!

            Kimberly <krdylt@...> wrote:
            Hello.
            I am trying to translate a few phrases and I am
            getting stuck with the details. I would appreciate
            anyones' suggestions for a better translation.

            Personal Information shall belong to the Subscriber
            == Informacio'n Personal se debe pertencer / pertenece
            al Suscriptor

            limitation of relief == limitacio'n de ayuda

            indemnify and hold harmless == indemnizar y ??

            If the account is in arrears, == Si la cuenta esta'
            atrasa,

            The foregoing notwithstanding, CompanyName will not be
            obligated under the Section 4 or otherwise for an
            infringement claim.....
            No obstante al anterior, CompanyName no sera' obligado
            bajo esta Seccio'n 4 o por otro para una reclamacio'n
            de violacio'n....

            Thank you so much for your assistance!!! Kimberly

          • ELIAS PETALAS
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 13, 2003
              Hi Kimberly,

              Personal Information shall belong to the Subscriber
              Los dados personales deben pertence al Suscriptor

              indemnify and hold harmless == indemnizar y liberar XXXX de
              [responsabilidad???]

              If the account is in arrears, == Si la cuenta esta' atrasada

              The foregoing notwithstanding, CompanyName will not be obligated under the
              Section 4 or otherwise for an infringement claim..... No obstante al
              anterior, CompanyName no sera' obligado bajo esta Seccio'n 4 o por otro para
              una reclamacio'n de violacio'n....
              NOMBRE DE EMPRESA

              Elias

              http://messenger.yupimsn.com/
            • Contact me mangelis@tld.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 13, 2003
                Hi, Kimberly.

                Sorry I didn't get around to read my emails until today.
                I am a full time Spanish translator; that's what I do for a living.

                Here's the Spanish text you need:

                >Personal Information shall belong to the Subscriber
                == La información personal pertenecerá al suscriptor.

                >limitation of relief == limitación de relevo
                >
                >indemnify and hold harmless == indemnizar librar de responsabilidad
                >
                >If the account is in arrears, == Si la cuenta está en atraso,

                >The foregoing notwithstanding, CompanyName will not be
                >obligated under the Section 4 or otherwise for an
                >infringement claim.....
                == No obstante lo anterior, (Nombre de la Compañía) no vendrá obligada
                >bajo esta Sección 4, ni por otra, en una demanda por violación....

                I find Butterworth's Spanish-English Legal Dictionary very useful. Maybe it
                would
                help you too.

                Mangelis
                mangelis@...

                http://messenger.yupimsn.com/
              • Kimberly
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 13, 2003
                  I would like to thank you and each person that has
                  submitted his/her version of the translation. It's so
                  fascinating to see the differences in word choices. I
                  will be printing each of them and picking whichever
                  seems most suitable.

                  I really appreciate the recommendation for a good
                  proofreader. I realize that a legal doc should be at
                  the utmost correct terminology. I just do not want to
                  submit something horrible to the proofreader.

                  I also appreciate the recommendation on a dictionary.
                  I will check it out. I generally do not translate
                  legal documents. This is my first (hopefully last)
                  attempt.

                  Thank you again so much for your useful critiques. I
                  hope to be of help to someone translating the other
                  direction.

                  Kimberly
                  --- "Contact me mangelis@..."

                  http://calendar.yahoo.com
                • Contact me mangelis@tld.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 14, 2003
                    Hi, Kimberly!

                    Legalese varies from venue to venue. You need a law clerk to proofread your
                    document. Spanish, like English, is spoken differently according to the
                    country your document comes from or goes to. For example, legal English in
                    Australia differs from that of Canada, Texas, US Virgin Islands, Dublin,
                    London... get the picture? If the Spanish is from Guatemala, Mexico or
                    Santo Domingo, etc., you will find that there are variations due to the
                    local usage, although they are perfectly correct. Madrid would be the
                    standard, because the Real Academia Española has headquarters there from
                    which it governs every aspect of the language everywhere in the world.
                    Maybe that is why you obtained different wordings in the replies you
                    received. Hope this helped.

                    http://messenger.yupimsn.com/