Re: [Spanish_English_Translation_Help_Group] La Mayoria de la gente

  • alejandro delaluz
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 28, 2007
      You got to check what does person mean and what people
      mean so you will see that there is a difference, the
      way I see it a person is an individual and that person
      belongs to the people of a city quarter, town, state,
      region, and country.

      The people of New York.
      The people of the Check Republic

      --- Eileen Brophy <brightlight4@...> wrote:

      > In English we would NEVER use the second the in the
      > majority of the people.
      > Articles are only used to specify a particular group
      > of people or a specific
      > thing.
      > Thus the majority of people and NEVER the majority
      > of the people.
      >
      > Eileen
      >
      > --
      > It´s a wise man who gives more importance to being
      > than having.

      > removed]

      Be a better pen pal.
    • April Jo Perez
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2007
        You are right, Alejandro.
        For example:
        * The majority of people are concerned about terrorism. (works fine as
        a sentence, you are talking about people in general)
        * The majority of the people of New York are concerned about
        terrorism. (this also works fine, the second "the" works because you
        are defining the group of people to whom you are referring.) another
        way to say this would be:
        * The majority of people in New York are concerned about terrorism.

        I have found that when it comes to languages, there are very few times
        that you can say that something is ALWAYS or NEVER the case.
        Have a great day! :)

        April

        --- In Spanish_English_Translation_Help_Group@yahoogroups.com,
        alejandro delaluz <alejandro_l_d@...> wrote:

        > You got to check what does person mean and what people
        > mean so you will see that there is a difference, the
        > way I see it a person is an individual and that person
        > belongs to the people of a city quarter, town, state,
        > region, and country.
        >
        > The people of New York.
        > The people of the Check Republic
        >

        > --- Eileen Brophy <brightlight4@...> wrote:
        >
        > > In English we would NEVER use the second the in the
        > > majority of the people.
        > > Articles are only used to specify a particular group
        > > of people or a specific
        > > thing.
        > > Thus the majority of people and NEVER the majority
        > > of the people.
        > >
        > > Eileen

      • alejandro delaluz
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2007
          Thanks.
          --- April Jo Perez <apriljoperez@...> wrote:

          > You are right, Alejandro.
          > For example:
          > * The majority of people are concerned about
          > terrorism. (works fine as
          > a sentence, you are talking about people in general)
          > * The majority of the people of New York are
          > concerned about
          > terrorism. (this also works fine, the second "the"
          > works because you
          > are defining the group of people to whom you are
          > referring.) another
          > way to say this would be:
          > * The majority of people in New York are concerned
          > about terrorism.
          >
          > I have found that when it comes to languages, there
          > are very few times
          > that you can say that something is ALWAYS or NEVER
          > the case.
          > Have a great day! :)
          >
          > April
          >
          > --- In

          Spanish_English_Translation_Help_Group@yahoogroups.com,
          > alejandro delaluz <alejandro_l_d@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > You got to check what does person mean and what
          > people
          > > mean so you will see that there is a difference,
          > the
          > > way I see it a person is an individual and that
          > person
          > > belongs to the people of a city quarter, town,
          > state,
          > > region, and country.
          > >
          > > The people of New York.
          > > The people of the Check Republic
          > >

          > > --- Eileen Brophy <brightlight4@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > In English we would NEVER use the second the in
          > the
          > > > majority of the people.
          > > > Articles are only used to specify a particular
          > group
          > > > of people or a specific
          > > > thing.
          > > > Thus the majority of people and NEVER the
          > majority
          > > > of the people.
          > > >
          > > > Eileen

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?