Re: [Spanish_English_Translation_Help_Group] Re: Como se dice esta palabra

  • anthony baldwin
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2006
      Daniel R Hanson wrote:

      >Esther,
      >
      >I think your suggestion fits best in this context. (That's just my point
      >of view as a native English speaker.)

      ¨Address the problem¨ is also commonly enough used, as someone else
      suggested.
      I´ve lost the context, however, and could not, at this moment, recall which
      would be most appropriate.
      Address would be used in a more formal context, and tackle does carry
      more aggressive connotations.
      The real difference:

      A manager who wishes to address an issue may very well delegate someone
      else to tackle it.
      ie.- address the problem means to assess and attempt to find a resolution,
      whereas, to tackle really means to roll one´s sleeves up and do the work
      to resolve it.

      tony

      --
      http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com
      Translating & Interpreting
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
        Jacquie/Sarita, this may help you...

        abordar ÞA1 vt

        < asunto/tema/problema > to tackle, deal with; el libro aborda todos estos temas difíciles the book deals with o tackles all these difficult subjects; tendrán que abordar estos problemas they will have to tackle o deal with these problems, they will have to come o (BrE) get to grips with these problems; no se abordó el tema de la construcción del puente the question of the construction of the bridge was not raised.

        Miguel A. Rojas

        tisolutions@...
        tisolutions.llc@...

        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE.
        The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and then delete it from your computer. All e-mail sent to this address will be received by my e-mail system and is subject to archiving.

      • esther herran
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 2006
          Thank you for your explanation. I am latina and in spite of I speak English, I am not totally fluent. Bye
          Clavestar