I love to teach students visiting Toronto.

  • Ross
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2006
      I love to teach students visiting Toronto.

      It gives me an opportunity to use lots of Realia in the classroom.

      My favourite realia is using Maps to Teach English.

      Maps offer ESL students with an excellent format for learning
      English. Students can learn and use both concrete and difficult
      abstract concepts when learning English with maps.

      Students can learn basic math terms for scale and distance. Most maps
      have a legend which lists dimensions, symbols and content. The
      students can learn how the map is used to represent the world using
      both the metric and imperial measurement terms and distances. Maps
      show scale and a physical distance representation using graphs. It is
      easy for students to see the one centimeter or one inch and how it
      represents kilometers or miles in the real world. Students can also
      learn how to convert measurements between the metric and imperial
      systems.

      Students can use maps to learn mathematical ratios. Using the map
      scales the students can learn what one-to-one or 1:700,000 really
      means and how ratios are used to draw maps in the correct
      proportions.

      Students can use maps to learn spatial relationships. Adding time and
      speed components allows students to plan trips and calculate each
      travel section. My students love to use the free Ontario, Canada
      Driving maps and use the distance cross-references to calculate
      driving times. I pass out about 100 of the Ontario travel brochures
      that promote Niagara Falls, Algonquin Park, Elora Gorge, Museums,
      festivals, boat cruises, canoe trips, camping adventures and the
      other wonderful things students can do while visiting Toronto. The
      students want to see their favorite attractions or activities or
      events. When you provide the information and maps the students will
      learn an amazing amount of English motivated by their interests.

      Students can plan day trips, pick two or three locations for a
      weekend adventure tour and use the maps to plan a full week vacation
      trip. The students can use the maps to plan routes based on the type
      of road, parking and access points to public transportation. Using
      the legend of symbols students can organize their trips based on
      facilities, locations and services. Students can learn all the
      related logistical terms and expressions.

      Maps can indicate many three-dimensional components. Students can
      learn all terms about height and depth and basic topography. The maps
      can show hills and valleys with gentle slopes or abrupt vertical
      changes in height.

      Land use maps allows for explanations about parks, preserves, rural
      and urban land use. Students can use historical maps to compare
      conversion of forests to rural use then conversion to urban land
      uses. The maps can motivate students to learn about land priorities,
      environmental considerations and proper balanced land use planning.

      Specialty maps can provide students with a completely different
      perspective of the world. Resource maps can indicate agriculture,
      forests and minerals. Weather maps can indicate tropical, temperate
      and arctic regions. Recreation maps can show bike, hiking, swimming,
      camping, canoe routes, and sport facilities.

      Students have fun learning with maps, sometimes they even like
      homework. The students want to see their favourite attractions or
      activities or events. When you provide the information and maps the
      students will learn an amazing amount of English motivated by their
      interests.

      Students can go to the Ontario Ministry of Tourism for free maps. The
      staff are very helpful and can provide almost everything that you
      need.

      For more info:
      http://www.eslincanada.com
      http://eslincanada.blogspot.com/