      From: Bob Dey <bobdey@...>
      To: "Spanish_English_Translation_Help_Group@yahoogroups.com" <Spanish_English_Translation_Help_Group@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, 1 July 2013 3:10 PM
      Subject: [Spanish_English_Translation_Help_Group] Moving adjective in front of noun?

      I found this gem of wisdom in a Spanish newspaper article:

      Padres buenos hay muchos; pero buenos padres hay pocos.

      Does moving buenos from after to before the noun change its meaning? How should this be translated? I suspect it's trying to say something like, "There are many good (or ok) parents; but few really good ones." If so, wouldn't there be a clearer, more direct way to say it in Spanish? This construction seems a bit subtle, if not downright confusing.

      Google Translate, by the way, provides this useless (but quite literal) result: "There are many good parents; but few good parents."

      Have a nice dey!
      Bob Dey
      -Sent from my iPad