56I hope you like this, I wish I could have wrote more but ran out of time.

  • salvador_girl
    Aug 22, 2006
      When you hear the word Pagan most peoples first thought is

      Usually "oh devil worshipers", but that is very far from the truth.

      The word 'pagan' is derived from a Middle English word, which itself

      comes from the from the Latin word paganus, which means 'country

      dweller'. This is derived from the Latin word pagus, which
      means 'country'

      or 'rural area`. Soon a nice little word that described nice people
      who lived

      outside the cities began to have all sorts of connotations. Today,
      people

      who live in metropolitan areas usually look upon those who do not
      with

      disdain. The same was probably true in the days of the Roman Empire
      as

      well. Back then, as now, things always seemed to begin in the
      cities, and

      eventually trickled down into the country villages. The country
      villages

      were always behind in the latest news, fashion and spiritual
      revolutions.

      Whatever religion that may have been sweeping across the cities
      probably

      was not practiced out in the country right away. Therefore the
      pagani were

      probably out of step whenever a new religion came along. It just
      took

      longer for the missionaries to convert the farmers who were spread
      out in

      the country than it did the centralized population centers of the
      cities. So

      the result was the pagani would continue practicing the old religion
      after

      the new religion had supplanted it in the cities.

      From their point of view, the metropolitan population had many
      reasons to

      disdain a pagan. For them, a pagan dressed strangely, worked in the
      dirt all

      day, was ignorant, illiterate, and uneducated. To top it off a pagan
      even

      worshipped the wrong gods.

      Here are some official definitions that I found.

      If one would look up the word pagan in a dictionary, you could find

      definitions like these:
      n. One who is not a Christian, Muslim, or Jew
      n. A heathen
      n. One who has no religion
      n. A non-Christian
      n. A hedonist
      n. One who worships false gods
      n. An idolater
      n. One who does not acknowledge God
      adj. Not Christian, Muslim, or Jewish
      adj. Professing no religion
      adj. Not acknowledging God

      There are two things that are wrong with going with a dictionary
      definition:
      They are biased towards the predominantly Judeo-Christian Western
      culture.
      They are too broad to be a definition.

      They are too broad to be a definition.

      The Judeo-Christian bias continues the derogatory use of this word.
      It has

      been shown that the origin of the word had developed outside Judeo-

      Christian culture, yet this adoption of it continues to this day.
      Also the

      broadness of the definition is a problem. Since it is an
      exclusionary

      definition, many who would take umbrage at being labeled as 'pagan'
      are

      labeled nonetheless. Using a dictionary definition of the word
      pagan, it

      would include Buddhists, Taoists, Hindus, Traditional Native
      Americans,

      Agnostics and Atheists.
      That is the definitions from the internet. Now this is what I saw
      when I went

      down to a meeting in Longview. I went to a monthly meeting and met a

      wonderful group of people. They come together once a month to
      discuss

      they're lives and support each other. They come from different
      areas of

      Paganism, they have different covens, and groups as well as
      specialties.

      Some specialize in herbs, some in healings, some in readings, but
      they do

      have so much in common as well.

      What I see and hope to see more of in this wonderful group
      of

      people, is that they are always learning and teaching and being
      supportive

      of each other. They believe in balance and karma and enjoying life,
      and

      nature and everything it has to offer. They go by the moon cycles
      for

      planting as well as other things. They believe you must not harm
      anyone

      for it is not when you die that you pay for your sins or bad doings,
      but

      while you are still here that karma will come and bite you on the
      backside.

      They do not worship the devil, they do not believe in him period.

      Christianity brought about the devil. In my opinion I believe that

      "Christians" can learn a lot from the Pagans, (especially the ones
      that I

      met). I hear this church saying ," that church is worshipping wrong
      and is

      going to `hell' because they don't believe in the same thing." I
      have not

      heard this from the Pagans, that this group or coven is wrong for
      the way

      they worship and will be punished or banished in some way. What I
      hear

      is of two covens coming together for special occasions or rituals
      and

      working together.

      I feel that this religion or culture what ever you like to
      call it, needs

      not to be feared but accepted into the mainstream. We can learn a
      lot from

      them, as I hope to. I don't think they should be looked at any
      different then

      you would a catholic or a Baptist or any other religion. For it as
      you learn in

      what ever church you go to, it is not your place to judge.

      To end this paper, but by no means ending my learning of
      this group

      I want to say, the next time you blow out your birthday candles with
      a wish

      or you send out a prayer this comes from those that some fear,

      My new friends The Pagans!

      I found the definitions of pagan from a web site called BBC h2g2.