More on Angkor Wat etc.

  • kentagain
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2009
      Hi Sage,

      I got to visit with my friend Eleanor Mannikka last night.
      I asked her about her studies of Angkor Wat and ancient
      cultures and languages. She said that Vishnu was the main
      solar deity associated with the star Altair (Arabian name for
      bird) in the constellation Aquila (latin for eagle). As is known
      Vishnu is aided by the Garuda (ie. Eagle). Unfortunately
      her book - Angkor Wat: Time, Space, and Kingship is out
      of print and so expensive - cheapest I saw was $60 on Amazon.
      She thinks the language of the so called Dravidians of India,
      hypothesized to be pushed south by the so-called Indo-Arayans,
      is definitely distinct from the PIE languages and actually has
      some similarities to Japanese. She thinks there is very much to
      learn by comparing cultures and cultural and lingual overlaps
      and combining with archeological evidences. She says most
      academics don't have the time or resources to do a lot of
      this research as best they should. Anyway I have an interest
      in the origin, history, and influence of Vedic ideas so have
      been delving into Neolithic, Indus Valley, and Harappan
      archeology - quite fascinating.
    • sagefemme_25
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2009
        Very lovely to hear m'dear...*big smiles*

        I've been in the 'organizing' stage of my 'notes' so far...I've
        decided to try to write some sort of book...I think I have enough
        topics covered to write several, if I can get the first one in...just
        not sure what the first should be.
        I know that I want to create a series...Thinking of calling
        it 'Schooled in Tradition'...and start that way???
        It feels good to know that someone else feels much like I do. I don't
        encounter it often it seems, although I maintain that there have to
        be others out there who have similiar ideas and talents at patterns.

        IVC and Harrapan...were those 6-5000 BC or later?...its been so long
        it seems I don't recall the dates...now resorting to a timeline of
        civilizations....delving into the past by pattern and pure conjecture
        seems to make the year or exact date pointless...as the patterns are
        repetitive.
        I do however recall coming across Pali in the IVC culture: the horned
        god who sits, at least depicted in art as such...which to me bears
        great resemblance to Cernunos and other 'horned gods'...

        BB
        Sage

        --- In Southern_Ohio_Pagans@yahoogroups.com, "kentagain"
        <kentagain@...> wrote:

        > Hi Sage,
        >
        > I got to visit with my friend Eleanor Mannikka last night.
        > I asked her about her studies of Angkor Wat and ancient
        > cultures and languages. She said that Vishnu was the main
        > solar deity associated with the star Altair (Arabian name for
        > bird) in the constellation Aquila (latin for eagle). As is known
        > Vishnu is aided by the Garuda (ie. Eagle). Unfortunately
        > her book - Angkor Wat: Time, Space, and Kingship is out
        > of print and so expensive - cheapest I saw was $60 on Amazon.
        > She thinks the language of the so called Dravidians of India,
        > hypothesized to be pushed south by the so-called Indo-Arayans,
        > is definitely distinct from the PIE languages and actually has
        > some similarities to Japanese. She thinks there is very much to
        > learn by comparing cultures and cultural and lingual overlaps
        > and combining with archeological evidences. She says most
        > academics don't have the time or resources to do a lot of
        > this research as best they should. Anyway I have an interest
        > in the origin, history, and influence of Vedic ideas so have
        > been delving into Neolithic, Indus Valley, and Harappan
        > archeology - quite fascinating.

      • chakra37
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18, 2009
          Hi Sage,

          IVC, Harrappa, Mahenjo Daro - were about 3300 to 1900(when the Sarasvati
          River dried up) - but there were earlier Bronze Age cultures to 6000 BC.
          From what I understand of your writings - they are concerned with comparative
          mythology, comparative language, language synchronicities, astrological basis
          of mythos, history of catastrophic events, and the nature of understanding reality.

          As Above So Below

          As Within So Without

          As the Mind So the Universe

          As Self So Other

             The Wild God of the Forest. The noble hunted beast in cahoots with hunger
          teaches ancient man the ‘art of stalking prey’ and the awareness therefrom.
          There is a bond - flesh consumed - karma shared - and communication with
          another world. The shaman appears.

             I came across a New Age dude that calls himself an Investigative Mythologist -
          Has some movie about Light Body Activation - based on Egyptian and Mayan
          Art where vessels they are standing on resemble some scientists depiction of
          Wormholes - so he calls in Stargate Metaphysics - mildly interesting - but he is
          much more of a motivational speaker than anything - New Age Fluff -anyway
          you before used the word “mythographer” - anyway his stuff is more or less
          promoting his own ‘career’ and hypotheses - while I see your delving more
          useful in the long run. We need to go beyond the mere identifying of ‘Archetypes’
          - beyond the work of Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell - enter the mystical worlds
          of poets and seers and yet not lose the mind of scientific inquiry - Walk between
          The Worlds.
             Communication is a process whereby conceptuality flows between
          beings. In the worlds beyond - the shaman’s worlds - this communication becomes
          warped or muddled - the language of image and symbol is all that can be conveyed -
          The Astral - The Lunar- The Nightside - the Collective Unconscious - The Dreamtime.
          To Fly - To Journey - To Dream - To Project - We let go of the density of the body
          and its realm and something is revealed. What - depends on where your mind
          is in the habit of dwelling when it is in the body for it will return there.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 20, 2009
            Kent, I'd swear you're in incarnate Muse...*smile*:

            "We need to go beyond the mere identifying of `Archetypes'
            - beyond the work of Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell - enter the
            mystical worlds
            of poets and seers and yet not lose the mind of scientific inquiry -
            Walk between
            The Worlds.
            Communication is a process whereby conceptuality flows between
            beings. In the worlds beyond - the shaman's worlds - this
            communication becomes
            warped or muddled - the language of image and symbol is all that can
            be conveyed -"

            and a quite quotable one at that....

            "enter the mystical worlds
            of poets and seers and yet not lose the mind of scientific inquiry -
            Walk between
            The Worlds."...This 'place' or path rather...is where I tend to be
            most of the time, lol. Conveying that 'middle road' does have its
            challenges, making the symbols all more effective and understandable.
            In my opinion, it truly is profound and lonely in ways to know and
            understand this path...to walk it, not just watch it. Because of
            the 'muddle' and the Confusion...being Alone must be 'okay'. "Be a
            light unto yourself..."

            One of my favorite Joseph Campbell 'books' isn't solely of Joe...but
            his interview with Bill Moyers, in which a series of questions are
            presented, and discussion ensuing between Joe and Bill.
            Plato's dialogues are written much like this...as a sort of interview
            and discussion with characters amongst themselves.
            Much of Shakespeare is written as such as well, as is Milton (when
            writing religious satire).

            What do you think about co-authorship? A publishable discussion
            between two perspectives, debating and discussing?

            Much like we do now...

            Just a tantalizing thought for me, how about you,
            Sage

            --- In Southern_Ohio_Pagans@yahoogroups.com, chakra37 <kentagain@...>