Southern Nights Update

  • Spirit of the Night
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2007
      Hello All,

      In case you don't recognize the new ID, I am Laurent Pellerin, Founder
      of Southern Nights Astronomical League. I know it has been a long
      time since I was really active, but I'm glad to see so many still members.

      I went through a divorce and received custody of my daughters, so I
      was very busy for a while. I also moved and changed jobs! After 14
      years managing the Seminole Community College Planetarium in Sanford,
      Florida, I finally left it to my able assistant, Derek, and accepted
      the position of Coordinator for the new Kika Silva Pla Planetarium in
      Gainesville, Florida. I will still be very busy for the next few
      weeks getting it ready for the Grand Opening on Labor Day Weekend, but
      I will try to get Southern Nights back up and running after that.

      For those of you in the Gainesville/Ocalla area, the Kika Silva Pla
      Planetarium is a 64-seat, 35-ft dome planetarium located at Santa Fe
      Community College with not one, but TWO star projectors! We have a
      Spitz Digital SciDome full-dome system running Starry Night Dome
      software. And we have the new state of the art, computerized, Goto
      Chronos Mechanical-Optical star projector. This projector is only the
      10th one installed in the world, and the only one operating in Florida
      until the Saunders Planetarium in Tampa gets their's installed. With
      its individual, computer controlled planets, sun and moon, it can jump
      to any time/place on earth in the past 10,000 years or future 10,000
      years, as well as demonstrate binary stars and inner system orrey. It
      projects 8,500 pinpoint stars and numerous M-objects as well. It is
      the best star field I've ever seen.

      Admission fees of $4 Adults, $3 children 3-12 and seniors 60+, will be
      waived until January to give you a chance to check us out for free.
      Shows will be every Friday and Saturday night at 8:30 PM starting
      August 31st. In the future, I plan to add full-dome movies (if I can
      find corporate sponsors) and Celestial Concerts to the line up as
      well. For now, Friday nights will be the never ending series,
      "Southern Nights," utilizing both star projectors to teach
      astronomical concepts, as well as teaching the constellations, with a
      few stellar myths thrown in. Every episode will be a little
      different. Saturdays will be our Feature night, starting with
      "Planets in the House," utilizing the SciDome projector to travel (and
      land) to the planets and update you with the latest information about
      them. If you've ever used Starry Night on your computer, imagine it
      projected across a 35-ft dome! Future Features will include, "Star of
      the Magi," in December; "NightSpirits: Native American Star Lore"
      January through April; and "AstroMyth Busters" in May.

      Laurent Pellerin
      Founder, Southern Nights Astronomical League
      Coordinator, Kika Silva Pla Planetarium