August events and Orlando area viewing location request

  • Jeremy
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9, 2007
      Good evening,

      As many of us are probably aware, the Perseid shower is upon us the
      evening and morning of Aug. 12-13, as well as part of a total lunar
      eclipse the early morning of Aug. 28. Also, I just read at Space.com
      that the Aurigids will be unusually spectacular in the early morning
      of Sept. 1.

      Now, I have been using my girlfriend's house for viewing sky objects
      because it is in the earstern outskirts of Orlando and relatively the
      darkest place I have access to, over by the Avalon area. I was
      wondering if anyone could share some great public places open at
      night that offer very dark skies and a safe environment in which to
      enjoy skywatching around Orlando. I am certain that many others who
      view these boards would also be appreciative of this helpful
      information.

      Thank you, and happy viewing!

      -jeremy

      links:

      Perseid shower -
      http://www.space.com/spacewatch/070712_perseid_meteors.html

      Total lunar eclipse -
      http://www.space.com/spacewatch/070720_ns_eclipse.html

      Aurigid shower -
      http://www.space.com/searchforlife/070809_seti_aurigids.html
    • Spirit of the Night
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2007
        Jeremy,

        I lived on the NE side of Orlando, and I'm not sure what areas on the
        E side are left with all the growth. But a couple that used to be
        pretty good were Ft Christmas and a little park/boat ramp on SR 50 out
        past Bithlo. Ft Christmas closes at sunset, but they used to allow
        people to park in the field along the drive into it for events like
        this. I recommend that you give them a call and ask. Another
        possibility is Harmony near St Cloud. You can also check with the
        Central Florida Astronomical Society and the Brevard Astronomical
        Society, both are listed in the "Links" section of Southern Nights.

        Laurent