SCC Planetarium Closed By Francis

  • Laurent Pellerin
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19 11:02 AM
      Hi All,

      To keep you up to date, the Seminole Community College Planetarium
      in Sanford has been closed until January, 2005 by Hurricane Francis
      damage to OTHER parts of the building housing our dome. The
      Planetarium itself received NO damage from either hurricane.

      However, due to the extensive roof and flooding damage to both
      classroom wings of the building that flank (and protected) the SCC
      Planetarium, the entire building has been closed as unsafe.

      While classes, faculty and administrators have been relocated to
      other buildings on campus, the planetarium cannot be moved,
      obviously. My student worker has already been given another job on
      campus, and my Assistant and I are still awaiting word about our
      work for the next 3 months.

      This will give us a good opportunity to get a lot of production done
      in reproducing our school shows for each grade level to match the
      new FCAT standards, and also work on our new public show, "Where's
      the Science?," for its February grand opening. But there is only so
      much that can be done on a computer without access to the dome to
      fit the show together. We are hoping to get the Administration to
      allow us to work in the planetarium, with hard-hats if necessary,
      but have yet to get a response.

      I hope everybody else has weathered the storms better.

      Laurent Pellerin
      Operations & Production Manager
      Seminole Community College Planetarium