New County Lighting Ordinances in Organge and Seminole Counties

  • Laurent Pellerin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26 9:36 AM
      Recently, both Orange and Seminole Counties have passed new outdoor
      lighting ordinances. I haven't seen the Orange County one yet, but
      the Seminole County one requires cut-off lighting fixtures for new
      installations in unincorporated commercial areas. No limits on
      illumination levels where included. Neither county chose to work
      with Dark-sky organizations, limiting their input to the IESNA
      only. So we now have half the equation in the ordinances, but its a
      start!

      I have heard that Volusia County is looking into expanding its beach
      lighting ordinances county-wide, but I have yet to hear from them.

      A local group of Sanford residents presented a petition to the City
      a couple of weeks ago asking that an outdoor lighting ordinace be
      passed for their city. This group was led by a man that got turned
      on to Dark-skies after one of my standard presentations during one
      of my planetarium shows at Seminole Community College Planetarium in
      Sanford.

      Also, I gave a presentation to the Southeastern Seminole County
      Voters Association about dark-skies this past spring at their
      request! This rural area of Seminole County is very concerned about
      the improachment of light pollution in their area. They plan to
      work with Seminole County to improve its lighting ordinance.

      I will be adding the new ordinances to the Files at the Southern
      Night-sky Restoration Project's group as soon as I can
      get copies of them. I know that I've been too busy to post here or
      on SNRP, or add to the Files sections, for a long time. But I want
      you to know that the work goes on!

      Please check out the links section of SNRP and consider joining our
      sister group as well. Dark skies should concern all of us!

      Laurent Pellerin
      Founder, Southern Nights Astronomical League of Florida
      Founder, Southern Night-sky Restoration Project