NASA's Cassini Spacecraft Arrives at Saturn AND the SCC Planetarium

  • Laurent Pellerin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2004
      Seminole Community College Planetarium
      Press Release 062904

      For Immediate Release

      Contact Person:

      Laurent Pellerin, Operations & Production Manager
      Seminole Community College Planetarium
      100 Weldon Blvd
      Sanford, Florida 32773-6199
      407.328.2409
      PelleriL@...

      NASA's Cassini Spacecraft Arrives at Saturn AND the SCC Planetarium

      On July 1, 2004 (June 30, 2004 EDT,) NASA's latest robot explorer,
      Cassini and its partner, Huygens, will finally arrive at Saturn, the
      true "Lord of the Rings," after a long, long 7 year journey. Cassini
      has already passed Saturn's outer moon, Phoebe, returning our first
      closeup images and information of this surprising body. Cassini will
      then begin an exploration mission of Saturn, its rings and its 31 known
      moons that is scheduled to last at least 4 years! The Cassini-Huygens
      mission is a cooperative project of NASA, the European Space Agency and
      the Italian Space Agency.

      But Saturn is not the only place hosting the presence of Cassini and
      Huygens... The SCC Planetarium will be Premiering our new Saturday
      Evening Special Feature, Ring World narrated by Star Trek's, John
      Billingsley, on July 10, 2004. This planetarium show was produced by
      NASA and the Clark Planetarium in Utah to give the Public an insider's
      preview of Cassini's mission to Saturn, as well as possible future
      missions. The SCC Planetarium has further adapted Ring World to use the
      latest technology recently acquired during our equipment renovations.
      The show has been fully digitalized and animated to take advantage of
      our new 160 degree immersive video projection system for a virtual
      reality experience that won't soon be forgotten! What's more, we plan
      to keep the show updated with new images of the Saturnian system as they
      become available. In fact, even before its Premiere, Ring World has
      already been updated with the latest image of Phoebe!

      Ring World Premieres July 10, 2004 at 8:30 PM. Tickets are available
      at the door beginning at 8:00 PM. Admission is $4 for Adults and $3 for
      Student in Grades K-12 as well as Senior Citizens. Pre-schoolers and
      SCC Students and Employees are free with I.D. Telescope Viewings will
      follow each show as the weather permits.

      The Seminole Community College Planetarium is located at the corner of
      Weldon Blvd (off of US 17-92) and College Dr (off of Lake Mary Blvd) on
      the Main Sanford/Lake Mary Campus of Seminole Community College in the
      heart of Seminole County. Further information is available by calling
      407.328.2360, or visiting our web site at http://www.scc-fl.edu/planet
      .

      Laurent A. Pellerin, Jr.
      Operations & Production Manager