Venus Transit Viewing

  • Laurent Pellerin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2004
      Seminole Community College Planetarium
      Press Release 060304

      For Immediate Release

      Contact Person:

      Laurent Pellerin
      SCC Planetarium Operations & Production
      Seminole Community College Planetarium
      100 Weldon Blvd
      Sanford, Florida 32773-6199
      407.328.2409
      PelleriL@...

      The SCC Planetarium will be Hosting FREE Telescope Viewings of the
      Historic Venus Transit on June 8 from 6:30 - 7:30 AM on the Main
      Sanford/Lake Mary Campus of Seminole Community College

      Twice (8 years apart) every 125 years, Venus passes directly in front
      of the Sun as seen from Earth. This phenomena is know as a "Transit." A
      Transit is basically the same thing as an eclipse, but of course Venus,
      being approximately 26 million miles away, cannot completely cover the
      disk of the Sun like the Moon can. On June 8th, Venus will again
      transit the Sun. The next one will be in 2012, then another 125 will
      follow before it will be seen again.

      Unfortunately, here in Florida we will only get to see the tail-end of
      the transit just after sunrise, since most of it occurs before the Sun
      rises in our time zone. But some is certainly better than none!

      IMPORTANT ... IMPORTANT ... IMPORTANT ... IMPORTANT ... IMPORTANT

      LOOKING AT THE SUN WITHOUT SPECIAL FILTERS DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR
      SOLAR VIEWING CAN CAUSE PERMANENT INJURY TO YOUR EYES!

      The SCC Planetarium will be setting up telescopes WITH SPECIAL FILTERS
      to safely view this historic event along College Drive behind the
      Planetarium. One telescope will be equipped with a very special
      hydrogen-alpha filter and an astronomical color camera to record the
      event. This camera view will also be displayed on a monitor for you to
      see the extra solar details that this very special and expensive filter
      can provide. Other telescopes will be set up with white-light solar
      filters for direct viewing by the public.

      NEWS MEDIA:

      We will be providing two line feeds from our telescope video camera for
      those TV cameras/trucks equipped with line-input jacks. (BNC
      connection) Given the timing of the Venus Transit, this will allow
      local news programming to carry the event live. Due to the limit of two
      lines, please contact Laurent Pellerin in advance to reserve one line
      for your use. Stations that can provide additional amplified line
      splitters, may also take a feed from our camera.

      Laurent A. Pellerin, Jr.
      Operations & Production Manager
      Seminole Community College Planetarium
      100 Weldon Blvd