Fwd: What would you do with infinite data?

  • Laurent Pellerin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2004
      >>> Jordan Raddick <raddick@...> 03/25/04 10:06:29 AM >>>
      Greetings!

      This is a special message to the SkyServer mailing list. We (the
      creators
      of SkyServer) are starting a new project. We're working with the
      National
      Virtual Observatory (NVO). The NVO is a new research project whose goal
      is
      to make all astronomy data in the world accessible from a simple set
      of
      web interfaces. It will be like a search engine for astronomy data.

      For example, you could type "Orion Nebula" and receive images of the
      Orion
      nebula in all wavelengths of light: VLA for radio, Spitzer for
      infrared,
      Hubble for visible, and Chandra for X-ray. Or, you could request
      spectra
      for all quasars with redshifts between 1 and 2 that have unusual
      emission
      lines.

      So, my question is: if you had these tools - and access to all the
      astronomy data ever collected - what would you do with them? We're
      starting to design tools for education and outreach, and we want to
      make
      the tools as useful as possible. When we know what you'd like to do
      with
      the tools, we can optimize the tools to work for what you want them to
      do.

      I'd like to hear back from both educators and amateur astronomers.
      Please
      E-mail me your thoughts to this address. This is your chance to
      influence
      the future of astronomy education!

      Thank you,
      Jordan Raddick

      M. Jordan Raddick
      Web Content Designer
      Johns Hopkins University/Sloan Digital Sky Survey

      Phone until mid-March: (407) 876-5878
      raddick@...
      http://skyserver.sdss.org