SCC Planetarium Spring Planet Watches Have Begun

  • Laurent Pellerin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2004
      Seminole Community College Planetarium

      Press Release 032204

      For immediate release

      Contact Info:
      Laurent Pellerin, Planetarium Operations & Production
      100 Weldon Blvd
      Sanford, Florida 32773-6199
      407.328.2409 (office)
      407.754.4078 (cell)
      PelleriL@...

      SCC Planetarium Spring Planet Watches Have Begun

      All of the planets visible to the unaided eye are aligned across our
      sunset skies this week. And the SCC Planetarium has begun holding Free
      Planet Watches with our telescopes and knowledgeable staff. Six out
      of the seven Solar System bodies for which the days of the week are
      named are in the sky at the same time! Only the Sun is below the
      horizon.

      Our first evening saw absolutely beautiful skies... perfect for
      telescope viewing. And those Central Floridians who showed up tonight
      were totally awe-struck at the view of the planets that they saw. But
      there are still five more chances for those that missed tonight's
      celestial wonders. Mercury, Venus, the Crescent Moon, Mars, Jupiter,
      and Saturn are all still available for the Central Florida Public to
      view every evening this week at Sunset.

      The SCC Planetarium also wishes to thank Ray Jones, President of the
      Central Florida Astronomical Society, for bringing out his own personal
      telescope to help keep the lines short tonight.

      While this grouping of the planets is not particularly rare, occurring
      every few years, it is still a beautiful sight and provides an
      opportunity for Central Floridians to view them all through our SCC
      Planetarium telescopes in one evening! Therefore we are holding Free
      Planet Watches each and every evening this week at Sunset, from March 22
      through March 27 for anyone in Central Florida that would care to
      witness for themselves the brilliance of cloud-covered, super-heated
      Venus; the broad-banded majesty of mighty Jupiter and its Galilean
      moons; the mysterious appearance of the little known innermost planet,
      Mercury; the fascinating sight of the "Red Planet," Mars; the glorious
      ringed planet, Saturn; or the rugged landscape of the only other Solar
      System body ever to have felt the footsteps of humans, the Moon. All at
      no charge!

      SCC Planetarium Spring Planet Watches

      (Weather Permitting)

      Dates: March 22 - March 27, 2004

      Time: Sunset (each Planet Watch will last approximately 90 minutes)

      Location: The SCC Planetarium on the Main Sanford/Lake Mary Campus of
      Seminole Community College
      100 Weldon Blvd
      Sanford, Florida
      Off of US 17-92 across from Bob Dance Dodge, just south
      of Lk Mary Blvd,
      or use College Dr off of Lk Mary Blvd just west of
      US 17-92.

      Cost: FREE

      Further Public Information Available at 407.328.2360, or on the web at
      http://www.scc-fl.edu/planet

      Laurent A. Pellerin, Jr.
      Operations & Production Manager
      Seminole Community College Planetarium