The Planets Herald in Spring this Year!

  • Laurent Pellerin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13 12:50 PM
      Seminole Community College Planetarium

      Press Release 031304

      The Planets Herald in Spring this Year!

      Contact Info:
      Laurent Pellerin, Planetarium Operations & Production
      100 Weldon Blvd
      Sanford, Florida 32773-6199
      407.328.2409 (office)
      407.754.4078 (cell) *
      PelleriL@...

      * Due to Spring Break, March 14-28, 2004, please use cell number during
      this time.

      For immediate release

      The Planets Herald in Spring this Year!

      All of the planets visible to the unaided eye will be massing in our
      skies to herald in the Vernal Equinox, or the official beginning of
      Spring, this year. And the SCC Planetarium will be there as well
      holding Free Planet Watches with our telescopes and knowledgeable staff.
      Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn have already arrived for this
      celestial event and Mercury is currently climbing up out of the Sun's
      glare to join the others next Saturday, March 20th, for the beginning of
      Spring which will occur at 1:49 AM. And during the following week, the
      Young Crescent Moon will join them, sliding pass the others throughout
      the week. Six out of the seven Solar System bodies for which the days
      of the week are named will be in the sky at the same time! Only the Sun
      will be below the horizon.

      While this grouping of the planets is not particularly rare, occurring
      every few years, it is still a beautiful sight and provides an
      opportunity for Central Floridians to view them all through our SCC
      Planetarium telescopes in one evening! Therefore we will be holding
      Free Planet Watches each and every evening of the week at sunset, from
      March 22 through March 27 for anyone in Central Florida that would care
      to witness for themselves the brilliance of cloud-covered, super-heated
      Venus; the broad-banded majesty of mighty Jupiter and its Galilean
      moons; the mysterious appearance of the little known innermost planet,
      Mercury; the fascinating sight of the "Red Planet," Mars; the glorious
      ringed planet, Saturn; or the rugged landscape of the only other Solar
      System body ever to have felt the footsteps of humans, the Moon. All at
      no charge!

      SCC Planetarium Spring Planet Watches

      (Weather Permitting)

      Dates: March 22 - March 27, 2004

      Time: Sunset (each Planet Watch will last approximately 60-90
      minutes)

      Location: The SCC Planetarium on the Main Sanford/Lake Mary Campus of
      Seminole Community College
      100 Weldon Blvd
      Sanford, Florida
      Off of US 17-92 across from Bob Dance Dodge, just south
      of Lk Mary Blvd,
      or use College Dr off of Lk Mary Blvd just west of
      US 17-92.

      Cost: FREE

      Further Public Information Available at 407.328.2360, or on the web at
      http://www.scc-fl.edu/planet

      Laurent A. Pellerin, Jr.
      Operations & Production Manager
      Seminole Community College Planetarium