Re: nightsight1

  • nightsight1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2002
      There have been times I've been at the observatory until 5 AM working
      on a research project, and still had to be in to the Planetarium by 9
      AM to do a field trip show for 120 second graders. Throw in CFAS
      General Meetings, Board Meetings and my Dark Sky Advisory Committee
      Meetings and activities, plus evening and weekend shows at the
      Planetarium, my children's school events, and now Southern Nights and
      the SNR Project, and, believe me, I can understand the time problem.

      But SOMEBODY has to do some educating about light pollution. And the
      more of us that get involved, the less time each of us has to spend
      on it to get results!

      As for my "Plan," let's move this discussion over to the SNR Project,
      since it is open to the public.
      That way even non-Southern Nights members can participate. I'll post
      it there this evening.

      Laurent Pellerin
      Nightsight1@n...
      http://nightsight1.home.att.net

      Founder/Moderator, Southern Nights Astronomical League of Florida
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Southern_Nights/

      Founder/Moderator, Southern Night-Sky Restoration Project
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthernNightSkyRestorationProject/

      Chairman, Dark Sky Advisory Committee
      Central Florida Astronomical Society
      darksky@c...
      http://www.cfas.org

      Operations & Production
      Seminole Community College Planetarium
      PelleriL@s...
      http://www.scc-fl.edu/planet/

      --- In Southern_Nights@y..., "blackstar7us" <gpj4@b...> wrote:
      > I'll say yes,but my time is restricted,I work anytime around the
      > clock.But sometimes my work gets me into place's that most people
      can
      > only dream about,and there are times I rub elbow's with some big
      > people as well as little fish.I'm working on a bigger fish then
      > me,who is our Light Pollution liaison for Southern Cross.I never
      met
      > the man,yet. I'm trying to get his e-mail so I can steer him toward
      > this group.City Planner's Office is much better than locking horns
      > with City Commissioners.To tell you the truth I'm lost on how to go
      > about it.I was one person against big interest,and a lot of these
      > people have big feet,I'm getting tired of getting kick in the
      a..,so
      > whats your plan.
    • Kathryn Juarez
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29, 2002

        although i am quite ignorant in this area (light pollution, and astronomy in general), i do greatly appreciate all of the scientific advancements that have come from knowledge acquired in the heavens...

        i also have had the benefit of seeing a clear sky with no light pollution to impede my view of that wonderful meteor shower that happened a little after Halloween last year, from a out in the mountains view in CA...it was literally one of the most incredible and memorable nights of my life.

        i also run a school where i am very interested in teaching my children to be activists...so, in short, in spite of my personal ignorance, i would love for myself and my students to get involved in your plight.

        --katt (an enthusiastic learner)