Lunar Eclipse

  • Laurent Pellerin
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2003
      Here are the timings for the lunar eclipse events in EST, I have not
      converted them to our exact longitude yet, but they'll be very
      close...

      Total Lunar Eclipse
      Saturday, November 8, 2003

      04:53 PM Sunset
      06:09 PM Moon enters penumbra (1st contact)
      06:32 PM Moon enters umbra (2nd contact)
      08:06 PM Totality begins (3rd contact)
      08:19 PM Mid-totality
      08:31 PM Totality ends (4th contact)
      10:05 PM Moon exits umbra (5th contact)
      10:28 PM Moon exits penumbra (6th contact)

      This is a very short totality eclipse because the Moon's southern
      limb will be passing inside the Earth's southern umbral edge by only
      50 miles. Therefore this should be a brighter eclipse, mostly lemon-
      yellow on the Moon's southern side, and copper orange on the northern
      side. However, I think that there may be a good chance to catch the
      elusive "green flash" because of this. Tell your students to watch
      for it, it only lasts a second or two.

      The SCC Planetarium Lunar Eclipse Party will begin at 6 PM on the
      College Drive side of the B-bldg. There will be no planetarium show
      that night. Cost: FREE