978 Aidamina, 2.05 second even

  • LAINIE121@WEBTV.NET
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2003
      On Thursday night, October 23rd, my husband Bill and I witnessed an
      asteroidal event..My son Richard is an astronomer, and I will quote his
      own words as posted on the IOTA occultations website:

      "I observed a 2.05 second occultation by 978 Aidamina from 11 km west of
      predicted center in Balmorhea, Texas. While set up for over 45 minutes a
      truck with high beams drives right past me at 5 mph causing substantial
      glare only during the 3 seconds of the event. Fortunately, this being a
      m=8.3 mag bright star, I was able to extract the times of disappearance
      and reappearance.

      Lat = 30d 59' 34.0",
      Long = 103d 45" 20.5",
      Elev = 1026 m.....

      D = 9h 18m 28.95 sec,
      R = 9h 18m 31.0 sec,

      Duration = 2.05 +/ - 0.1 seconds....

      Richard Nugent,
      Ft. Davis, Texas

      To see his set-up, go to URL:

      http://lunar-occultations.com/iota/video/rnvideosetup.htm

      We did some more stargazing with his larger scope behind his house in
      Ft. Davis - His backyard faces the McDonald Observatory on Mt. Locke.

      ~Bill & Lainie Nugent~