Three Out of Four -- let's finish Kennedy's dream!

  • Erich Landstrom
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2003
      President John F. Kennedy, stood before a joint
      session of Congress on May 24, 1962 to address on them
      on urgent national needs. Without difficulty we can
      recall that first national goal:

      "First, I believe that this nation should commit
      itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is
      out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him
      safely to the earth."

      But how few remember the second goal!

      "Secondly, an additional 23 million dollars, together
      with 7 million dollars already available, will
      accelerate development of the Rover nuclear rocket.
      This gives promise of some day providing a means for
      even more exciting and ambitious exploration of space,
      perhaps beyond the moon, perhaps to the very end of
      the solar system itself."

      As for the third and fourth goals, they have already
      been accomplished:
      "Third, an additional 50 million dollars will make the
      most of our present leadership, by accelerating the
      use of space satellites for world-wide communications.
      Fourth, an additional 75 million dollars--of which 53
      million dollars is for the Weather Bureau--will help
      give us at the earliest possible time a satellite
      system for world-wide weather observation."

      We have seen the benefits from what three out of the
      four goals that Kennedy set before us have achieved.
      So why do we doubt the logic of the unfulfilled one?

      http://www.cs.umb.edu/jfklibrary/j052561.htm

      =====
      Erich Landstrom, NASA JPL Solar System Educator
      Solar System Educators Program http://www.ssep.org
      [Hands-on teacher training workshops sharing NASA's
      missions of research, discovery and exploration!]

      Science fiction & science fact stranger than fiction.
      Fridays@7PM ET on http://www.INTERSTELLAR-TRANSMISSIONS.com

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com