New Dark Site

  • strashni2002
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2002
      Hear ye Hear ye!

      Just wanted to pass along a new site my frineds and I happened
      upon. It is located in Central Fl out in the Prairie and is on PUBLIC
      land. The park is called Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park and
      opened last year. I spent the past 2 Staurdays out there. The Park is
      located about 35 miles South of Yeehaw Junction off of 441. The best
      news is that the park staff is currently seeking a user group that
      will frequent the park and is wanting astronomers to come out. Phil
      Spyckaboer, one of the rangers, stated that they are attempting to
      raise state grant money to possibly build an observing site on or
      near the prairie. Phil also advised me that they are willing to
      provide astronomical groups access to an improved pasture land and
      will mow the grass down. However there is no access to electricity to
      this site. Phil is also working with the Treasure Coast Astronomical
      Society to develop the park as a resource for astronomers.

      Please feel free to contact Phil at his email address.
      Philip.Spyckaboer@...
      or myself at Strashni@...

      I am planning to visit the site on 11-1 and 2nd. If I can get a large
      enough group together, Phil stated that he woul mow the pasture grass
      for us. The pasture is 4-5 footbal fields in size (I forgot to ask
      how big it was...it was quite large. I will have acess to a small
      generator if a group can be arranged in such a short notice.

      Thanks Mike P.