594Re: A three mile tour of Meteor Crater

  • Spirit of the Night
    Oct 3, 2007
      Robert,

      Those are some great Photos. I'm hoping to make a trip to Chaco
      Canyon next summer to complete some research. With any luck, I'll be
      able to see Meteor Crater myself, finally.

      One of my colleagues at Santa Fe believes he has found a filled impact
      crater in Florida about the same size. The satellite photos sure look
      like it. He is going to be drilling next month hoping to confirm it.
      It won't be easy as the shock patterns are difficult to identify in
      limestone, but maybe he'll hit a chunk of chert which should display
      the shock patterns well.

      I'll post the results when he clears them.

      Laurent A. Pellerin, Jr.
      Planetarium Coordinator
      Kika Silva Pla Planetarium
      Santa Fe Community College