Re: [Southeastern-Virginia-Objectivists] Concert by M. Zachory Johnson

  • Dihann Geier
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2010
      What a great idea!  I will be in South Carolina, but I hope the snow has melted up there for you!   -Dihann

      On Feb 27, 2010, at 3:19 PM, Matt wrote:

      Is anyone interested in going?

      http://mzacharyjohn son.com/

      This from TIA Daily:

      Editor's Note: As the Olympics wind down, I thought this would be a good time to re-run a piece that we published in TIA Daily four years ago, during the last winter Olympics, about the heroic music that is usually associated with the games.

      This article is also timely in another way. The author, M. Zachary Johnson, has asked me to announce a new concert of his own compositions on March 7. The MSJ Ensemble, a group he formed to perform his works, will be premiering two symphonic works: Portrait of a Woman and Tribute to Schuyler Chapin. The announcement says:

      "Seats are free but limited—send e-mail to events@mzacharyjohn son.com to reserve yours now! Come learn how each piece is constructed and the artistic inspiration behind it. For background on the second piece, read Mr. Johnson's beautiful 'Salute to Schuyler Chapin.' "

      The event is Sunday, March 7, in the Liederkranz Society Ballroom, 6 E 87th Street (near 5th Ave), in New York City. The concert will be at 2:00pm, followed by a reception.

      These are "lecture concerts" in which the composer explains how he composed the pieces—and given how good he is at writing about music, as you can see below, this ought to be a very entertaining and enlightening performance.— RWT