joe's blog

  • Dan Eggleston
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 4, 2010

      A few items from this week on the blog joeoconnell.com

      (Go to the blog to see the links)

      'Meet Jane' says howdy to Austin shoot

      The good news to come out of the quick cancellation of Austin-shot My Generation? One of the producers took notice of the Capital City--and specifically the Capitol--as a great location. The result is the Lifetime series pilot for Meet Jane, a Washington D.C. set story (thus the allure of the Capitol) starring Molly Parker of Deadwood.

      Here's the description of the show via Deadline.com: "centers on Jane Bilinski (Parker) whose stale life as an unhappily married mother of two daughters in the Washington, DC area is suddenly re-energized and empowered when the FBI enlists her to spy on her husband, a computer technician the government suspects is selling top-secret information to Russia."

      The show is from Andi Bushell who was a co-executive producer on My Generation. Bushell wrote the Jane script and will executive produce the pilot.

      The series looks to have some clout behind it. The other executive producer is Mark Pedowitz, former prez of ABC Studios.

      For my potential extras out there, On Location Casting is handling those chores and is sending you to their Facebook page.

      Fox cuts 'Chase' by four episodes

      This just in from The Hollywood Reporter: Fox has opted to reduce the order of Dallas-shot Chase episodes from 22 to 18. It's a dismal sign for a show that has had some trouble getting viewers.

      'Tree of Life' Trailer to hit theaters this weekend!

      The Playlist is reporting that the first trailer for Terrence Malick's Smithville, Texas-shot The Tree of Life is set to hit theaters this weekend before showing of the film Black Swan. It's a safe bet the trailer will soon after appear online.

      'Benavides Born' brings South Texas to Sundance

      I have to admit I'd never heard of Benavides Born before it was announced today as a competition film in the upcoming Sundance Film Festival. Why? Because it was shot primarily in South Texas in small towns (Benavides, San Diego, Alice, Carrizo Springs) near Corpus Christi earlier this year, and I frankly don't expect a lot of films to be shot there. Thus it's a nice surprise.

      Here's the story: “Benavides Born is a drama about Luz Garcia, a fictional high school senior who desperately wants to go to UT Austin and has earned admission by being among the top in her class. The problem is her family cannot afford it. She therefore pins her hopes on a scholarship awarded to the winners of the State High School Powerlifting Meet. When her powerlifting plans don’t work out as she hoped, she has to find a different kind of strength to keep her dream alive. “

      We'll be hearing a lot more about the film and it's director Amy Wendel in coming months.

      Sundance says you better 'Take Shelter'

      The Sundance Film Festival's Austin pick of the year is Jeff Nichols' Take Shelter. You remember Nichols from his 2008 Southern gothic debut film Shotgun Stories.

      Here's Take Shelter as described by Sundance: “A working-class husband and father questions whether his terrifying dreams of an apocalyptic storm signal something real to come or the onset of an inherited mental illness he’s feared his whole life."

      It was filmed in small town Ohio, and saw the filmmaker reunite with Michael Shannon. It also features Katy Mixon, Shea Whigham, Kathy Baker, Ray McKinnon and Jessica Chastain (who also stars in The Tree of Life).

      Also, expect a 20th anniversary screening of Richard Linklater's Slacker this year at Sundance.

      Bryan Poyser's 'Lovers of Hate' gets Cassavetes nom

      Austin filmmaker Bryan Poyser's Lovers of Hate is a nominee for the John Cassavetes Award given by the Film Independent Spirit Awards. Poyser was also nominated by the group in 2005 as "Someone to Watch" for Dear Pillow.

      The awards are to be presented Feb. 26.

      Zellner brothers want your holiday help

      Austin-based indie filmmakers Nathan and David Zellner (Goliath) want your help to complete their film Kid-Thing. The word is shooting is done on the film, but they're trying to raise $10,000 for post-production. Donations get you such goodies as DVDs of their films and a hand-drawn caricature of you by both the brothers. Not good enough? For just a bit more you get the brothers' tap-dancing photo above with a personal inscription. Now that's tempting...

      Here's their description of the film:

      "Kid-Thing is a fever-dream fable about Annie, a rebellious girl whose existence is devoid of parental guidance. She spends her time roaming the land, shoplifting, vandalizing and making prank phone calls. Her routine is broken one day while playing in the woods; she hears an old woman calling from a mysterious hole in the ground, asking for help. Scared and untrusting of the unseen stranger, Annie deliberates on her course of action."

      Send tips to Filmnewsbyjoe@...

      Follow on Twitter @joemoconnell

      Read the blog at joeoconnell.com

    • Dan Eggleston
      Message 32 of 32 , May 21, 2013

        From Joe O'Connell's blog @joeoconnell.com
        Send tips to filmnewsbyjoe@...

        ABC's 'Killer Women' to shoot in New Mexico, not Austin

        It's a show about Texas Rangers set in San Antonio and the pilot shot in Austin, but the ABC series Killer Women will lens in Albuquerque, my sources confirm.

        With the television networks, the decision usually comes down to dollars and cents, and this appears to be no exception. Simply put, filming incentives in New Mexico remain much more attractive than those offered in Texas.

        But at least we can enjoy a few fleeting Austin views in the trailer.

        It's the same story that has Johnny Depp star vehicle The Long Ranger featuring scenic backdrops that you'd never find in the Lone Star State.