joe's col

  • Dan Eggleston
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 2 7:04 AM
      Film News

      BY JOE O'CONNELL

      Horror stories scare up fun for Dayton, Kent

      Austin singer-songwriter Jesse Dayton may have stumbled onto a film
      career and a new musical identity. He and his band are Captain Clegg &
      the Night Creatures in Rob Zombie's Halloween II (the sequel to his 2007
      Halloween reimagining), which is due in theatres Aug. 28. Dayton says he
      met Zombie through Texas actor Lew Temple, who played Adam Banjo in
      Zombie's 2005 film, The Devil's Rejects. Dayton was asked to write and
      record songs for that film's soundtrack, which has developed quite a
      following among horror fans. Zombie ran into Dayton six months ago and
      asked him to write songs for his latest film. "I immediately started
      getting e-mails from Rob about song ideas," Dayton says, "then two weeks
      later he tells me he's making another Halloween with Harvey Weinstein,
      and that's the film we're doing." Soon he found himself filming in a
      Civil War graveyard in Georgia. "I always wanted to play a psychobilly
      vampire in a huge horror movie!" he says of the role. If you saw a
      camera crew at the Continental Club recently, that was likely the video
      shoot for a Dayton song from the soundtrack, also due out Aug. 28 and to
      be followed by a Captain Clegg tour... Horror fans may want to stop by
      the release party at 7pm on July 15 at BookPeople for my pal Gary Kent's
      memoir, Shadows and Light: Journeys With Outlaws in Revolutionary
      Hollywood. Kent, a legendary stuntman/actor/writer/director who has
      worked with everyone from Richard Rush (Hells Angels on Wheels) to Monte
      Hellman (Ride in the Whirlwind) to Al Adamson (Satan's Sadists), expects
      the crowd to include Bud Cardos (Kingdom of the Spiders), Chuck Bail
      (The Stunt Man), Don Jones (Schoolgirls in Chains), and Bob Ivy (who
      played the mummy in Bubba Ho-Tep).

      Austin faces crowd TXMPA board

      Austin is well-represented on the latest Texas Motion Picture Alliance
      board, which was elected Saturday in San Marcos. At-large candidates
      Craig Berlin, Jeanette Scott, and Rick Olmos join central region rep
      Paul Alvarado-Dykstra on the board, and central region alternate Shelly
      Schriber was elected board treasurer. Don Stokes of Dallas, who led the
      lobbying group's efforts to expand the state's film incentives program,
      was re-elected president. The biggest news may well be the election of
      Oge Young of Sony Online Entertainment as the film lobbying group's
      first video game, animation, and visual effects rep. Why does all of
      this matter? Scott's online letter to TXMPA members says it all: "I have
      spent the last several months in Oklahoma, on a feature film set in
      Texas. We are filming here for one reason. Legislative incentives. The
      Oklahoma state legislature has just signed into law a bill granting a
      rebate of 38% to film productions, and believe me, the studios are
      lining up and salivating. Never mind that there is no crew base, no
      infrastructure, no soundstage, no office facilities. We are based in an
      abandoned department store. The toilets work intermittently. Next to my
      desk, the water flows down the pipe each time someone flushes the
      toilet. But the people are lovely, the locations are good, and the
      community is eager & ready to build up the crew base and infrastructure
      to make this a truly competitive destination."

      And the rest...

      Turk Pipkin's doc One Peace at a Time won the Audience Award for Global
      Docs at the Maui Film Fest, and he's on his way to Geneva for a
      screening at the World Economic Forum... Bob Ray's Roller Derby doc Hell
      on Wheels is now viewable for free at www.snagfilms.com.

      Send tips to filmnews@....
    • Dan Eggleston
      Message 55 of 55 , Oct 26, 2011

        Shot in Texas: "12 Mighty Orphans" first up for new film company

        (My column tends to be behind a firewall, so here is the latest in its entirety.)

        By Joe O'Connell Special Contributor
        The Dallas Morning News
        filmnewsbyjoe@...
        joeoconnell.com
        @joemoconnell on Twitter

        Todd Allen hopes Fort Worth’s Mighty Mites are the start of something big for the Texas film scene.

        Allen, an Austin native who has worked for decades as an actor, has formed Presidio Pictures. The company plans to first shoot 12 Mighty Orphans, an adaptation of Jim Dent’s true story of the Masonic Home of Fort Worth’s Depression-era Mighty Mites football team.

        Preproduction for a spring Fort Worth shoot would start a string of Texas-made Presidio features with budgets ranging from $8 million to $30 million.

        “The financing for most independent films is cobbled together with duct tape,” said Allen, who is raising funds in Texas for not just the cost of film production but also much of the distribution. “I think [Presidio] will have a substantial impact on the industry here. If it works, it’ll put a lot of people to work.”

        Robert Duvall , Morgan Freeman, Bruce Willis, Aaron Eckhart and Andy Garcia are already attached to a planned second Presidio feature, The Last Full Measure, a true story of a father’s efforts to honor his son killed during the Vietnam War.

        Presidio — with former Sundance Institute chairman, Orion Pictures director and Imagine Entertainment chairman Jack Crosby on its board — could prove a shot in the arm for the Texas film industry as major films choose locations offering larger financial incentives. Jerry Bruckheimer told The Hollywood Reporter this week that his revived The Lone Ranger movie starring Johnny Depp will shoot in New Mexico and possibly Louisiana because of those states’ heftier incentives. Texas had been looked at as the movie’s shooting location.

        “My fear is it’s going to be a hokey cartoon,” Allen said of The Lone Ranger. “It’s going to cost $200 million and, if it doesn’t make its money back, it’s going to be another nail in the coffin of the genre.” (Bruckheimer says it will cost $215 million to be exact, trimmed back from $260 million.)

        Allen knows the Western genre well, having acted in such films as Wyatt Earp and Silverado. “I can’t think of a single actor I’ve met who didn’t want to do a Western,” he said. “I think that’s where my mojo is at.”

        Thus he’s also planning Rio Grande, a feature adaptation of Texas Ranger Joaquin Jackson’s memoir co-written by David Marion Wilkinson; a television miniseries of Wilkinson’s early-Texas novel Not Between Brothers made in partnership with Kevin Costner; and the big-screen film noir Western The Deserters based on Luke Short’s novel.

        Allen got his start when he happened upon the ranch set of Honeysuckle Rose (1980) in Johnson City and was mistaken for the ranch owner’s son. Director Jerry Schatzberg asked if he wanted to be an extra, and Allen caught the acting bug.

        Throughout his career, Allen said he tried to stay out of his trailer and on the set figuring out the film business.

        He moved back to Austin from L.A. with the expectation that acting would take a back seat to producing. But Quentin Tarantino, whom he met in a Los Angeles acting class 25 years ago, tapped him for a role in Django Unchained, a Western about slave traders featuring Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson and Kurt Russell.
        “When I first talked to Quentin he said he wanted to shoot in Texas,” Allen said.
        But his acting gig starts in February in Louisiana, the land of attractive film incentives.