lege

  • Dan Eggleston
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
      thanks to linda for this.

      This email contains:
      --Link to find your state representatives and contact information for
      letter
      writing
      --sample letter to your state reps
      --Link to Right To Work Laws in Texas (and other RTW states)
      --State By State Film Incentives (pdf file attached below)

      We lost out on our Film Legislation this past year due to overwhelming
      requests for public services, school funding, and health programs. Our
      Texas
      Legislators did pass one bill for film legislation but it is a useless
      bill
      unless a private entity invests in it. This is a repeat of the 1999 Film
      Act
      which was sunsetted this year due to inactivity. Ours is a revenue
      generating industry, instead of revenue depleting. Providing legislation
      facilitate our industry would have provided more funding for the above
      programs along with our own.

      Instead of waiting for 2007 sessions, I'm encouraging EVERYONE to please

      start your letter campaign now. Forward this information on to other
      industry supporters whether they work in the industry or not. I've added
      link below to assist you in finding your state representatives. Don't
      wait
      for the committees, start writing your own reps now for support. This
      should
      be done on a regular basis. Never assume they receive your first letter.

      Please also send to your City Councils, Tourists and Convention
      Departments
      of your city, and any other organizations who support the film industry.

      Please make this a priority and do not wait for the next legislative
      session
      in 2007. We need to be our own lobbyist.

      Linda

      Linda McAlister Talent
      972.938.2433 off
      1.866.816.3042 fax
      972.948.1199 cell
      linda@...
      www.lindamcalistertalent.com

      **************************
      Link to find your area STATE REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS: Provides
      proper
      letter writing instructions and addresses
      http://www.lrl.state.tx.us/citizenResources/ContactLeg.html

      For Right To Work Laws in Texas:
      http://www.nrtw.org/rtws.htm

      SAMPLE LETTER (excerpt from a sample letter previously sent by State
      Senator
      John Carona) below regarding FUTURE legislation. Choose one per letter
      pertaining to who you are contacting:

      The Honorable (insert name of Senator)
      TEXAS SENATE
      P.O. Box 12068
      Austin, Texas 78711

      The Honorable (insert name of Representative)
      TEXAS HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
      P.O. Box 2910
      Austin, Texas 78768-2910

      Dear Honorable_____________:

      (SIDE NOTE: Please state what you do in this industry OR if you are a
      supporter of our film industry. They need to hear from everyone
      interested
      in our film industry whether you work in it or not, so encourage
      EVERYONE to
      write and pass this on.)

      While other states throughout the south now enjoying higher levels of US

      production, Texas is experiencing a 25 percent decline in production
      inquiries. Texas is surrounded by nearby states offering incentive
      packages
      designed to lure the millions and millions of production dollars spent
      each
      year on projects. At the end of the year, these numbers are impressive.
      It
      is estimated that an “on location” production will leave behind one-half
      of
      its budget in the state where it films. Since Texas has a great
      diversity in
      locations producers are known to take their projects to a variety of
      spots
      dispersing revenue to each area. Additionally, the many crew members
      also
      spend a good amount of money as they spend time in an area, sometimes
      many
      weeks on end. This revenue is treasured by small Texas towns and healthy
      larger city economies. Films also stimulate tourism.

      Prior to the enactment of their incentives, many states had only a small

      amount of production work when compared to Texas. We know of several
      projects which “really” wanted to film in Texas, but were told to go
      take
      advantage of incentives being offered elsewhere. There are now over 16
      states offering incentive packages.

      Please note that Texas has a long history in the motion picture industry
      and
      we have worked hard in recent years to become recognized world wide by
      the
      industry for being both skilled and professional at our crafts. Business

      investments in Texas have been made to provide the goods and services
      which
      the industry requires. These businesses exist in many parts of the
      state. It
      would be difficult to retain our status if we lose our talented crew,
      actors, and local support businesses to states that are not established
      like
      Texas.

      Incentives are a good choice and we cannot lose when we offer both
      incentives and local crews and talent to go with them.

      Thank you,
      Your name
      Your address
      Your phone number
    • (no author)
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005
        AUGUST 5, 2005: SCREENS: FILM NEWS

        Film News
        BY JOE O'CONNELL

        Naming the Stars: Dwayne Wayne, ur, Kadeem Hardison (right), is in town
        to play a former child star who resists a reunion show in The Cassidy
        Kids, the Burnt Orange production now shooting locally. I wonder if this
        is the time to suggest A Different World reunion? The film's other two
        leads are Anne Ramsay (Six Feet Under's Jackie Feldman), and stand-up
        comedian/actor Judah Friedlander, who is perhaps best known as the hug
        guy in Dave Matthews' "Everyday" music video.

        Raising the Sun: One of Tom Copeland's last acts before retiring as
        Texas Film Commission head was to rave about writer/director Rowdy
        Stovall and his indie film Mexican Sunrise, which shot at Austin Studios
        earlier this summer. When not practicing the acting craft, Houston
        native Stovall played football at Stephen F. Austin State University
        then spent a few years in Mexico teaching and surfing. His latter
        experience colors Sunrise, the story of a bachelor party across the
        border that turns deadly, leaving friends to choose who among them will
        die. Copeland left the Sunrise set inspired by what he saw. Apparently
        he wasn't alone; Stovall has been chosen to attend the Sundance
        Institute 20th Annual Independent Producers Conference this week.

        Raining Dogs and Cats: Stacy Schoolfield's documentary "Rescue Me,"
        which follows people who rescue homeless dogs, cats, and the occasional
        tiger, gets its premiere Saturday at 8:15pm at the Dallas Video Film
        Festival. After she learned that more than 20,000 animals are euthanized
        every year in Austin, Schoolfield volunteered to foster critters. The
        film follows her experiences and features an interview with governor
        wannabe Kinky Friedman, who founded the Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch in
        Medina. Schoolfield is also busy these days producing the Kat
        Candler-directed film jumping off bridges and planning another doc about
        Austin's homeless people.

        Reshooting the Pooch: Poodle Dog Lounge, the television series pilot
        that takes place at the Burnet Road bar, had some reshoots this past
        weekend at Red's Scoot Inn and Tips Iron Works. Creator Bonnie Orr
        reports she has several production companies waiting to take a look when
        it's complete. Orr will serve as script supervisor for Mafioso, which is
        expected to shoot in Philadelphia later this month from her script.
        She's also completed an adaptation of David Marion Wilkinson's novel
        Oblivion's Altar about Cherokee chief Ridge Walker, and is adapting
        another Wilkinson book with the aid of the author and actor Todd Allen,
        an Austin High grad.

        Releasing a Wolf: The Legend of Ghostwolf, shot at Willie Nelson's
        Western set, is out on DVD from Los Angeles-based Silver Nitrate. The
        story of a woman who's looking for treasure in Texas only to run into
        something gruesome is the brainchild of Shane Scottis, an auto mechanic
        who also dabbles in special effects work for films including The Alamo,
        Spy Kids, and Office Space. Scott Perry, who brought the world Teenage
        Catgirls in Heat, secured the distribution deal. The dynamic duo is
        working on a Western they hope to shoot hereabouts in the fall.

        Praising an Indie Lion: OK, it's official. Kyle Henry is the "it" guy of
        Austin independent film. So sayeth Filmmaker Magazine, which lists him
        as one of the top 25 up-and-comers of independent film. Perhaps it's
        that his first feature, Room, played so strong at the Sundance Film
        Festival that it was chosen for a spot at the Cannes Film Festival. But
        maybe it's that the Austin resident believes in making films that
        challenge viewers. Also on the list are Neill Dela Llana and Ian
        Gamazon, whose Cavite was a SXSW Film festival award winner. John
        Pierson's UT advanced producing class worked as a group to push the film
        at the prompting of his wife, producer Janet Pierson, who was blown away
        by the thriller that includes only one actor.

        Send film tips to filmnews@....
      • Dan Eggleston
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
          (thanks to linda for stoking the fire on this important matter)

          I will be sending this out periodically. Please keep up the fight! We
          have lots of issues that are being presented to our congressman and we
          need to keep film legislation in their minds during their off time.

          This email contains:
          --Link to find your state representatives and contact information for
          letter writing
          --sample letter to your state reps
          --Link to Right To Work Laws in Texas (and other RTW states)
          --State By State Film Incentives (pdf file attached below)

          We lost out on our Film Legislation this past year due to overwhelming
          requests for public services, school funding, and health programs. Our
          Texas Legislators did pass one bill for film legislation appropriations
          were taken out and it is inactive unless a public or private entity
          invests in it. This is similar to the 1999 Film Act which was sunsetted
          this year due to inactivity. Ours is a revenue generating industry,
          instead of revenue depleting. Providing legislation to facilitate our
          industry would have provided more funding for the above programs along
          with our own.

          Instead of waiting for 2007 sessions, I'm encouraging EVERYONE to please
          start your letter campaign now. Forward this information on to other
          industry supporters whether they work in the industry or not. I've added
          a link below to assist you in finding your state representatives. Don't

          linda@... <mailto:linda@...>
          www.lindamcalistertalent.com <http://www.lindamcalistertalent.com>

          **********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

          Link to find your area STATE REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS: Provides
          proper letter writing instructions and addresses:
          http://www.lrl.state.tx.us/citizenResources/ContactLeg.html

          For Right To Work Laws in Texas:
          http://www.nrtw.org/rtws.htm

          SAG Website:
          www.sag.org <http://www.sag.org>

          AFTRA Website:
          www.aftra.org <http://www.aftra.org>

[...]

          revenue is treasured by small Texas towns and healthy to larger city
          economies. Films also stimulate tourism.

          Prior to the enactment of their incentives, many states had only a small
          amount of production work when compared to Texas. We know of several
          projects which "really" wanted to film in Texas, but were told to go
          take advantage of incentives being offered elsewhere. There are now over
          16 states offering incentive packages.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2006
            *Happy New Year! Let's start the year with letters to our state reps to
            encourage supporting film industry incentives! Below is my quarterly
            (soon to be monthly) email that I blitz out to the state to encourage
            everyone to write their state reps. I've done the hard work. No
            excuses!! Please forward this on to anyone who will pass the torch.*
            ****
            *This email contains:
            **--Link to find your state representatives and contact information for
            letter writing (Updated link)
            **--updated sample letter to your state reps (UPDATED letter)**
            **--Link to Right To Work Laws in Texas (and other RTW states)
            --State By State Film Incentives (I have a pdf attachment I can send you
            upon request; this list serve does not support attachments)*

            I am the Legislative Committee Chair for Dallas Producers Association.
            We need the assistance of everyone in and outside the industry to
            continue our requests for film incentives in Texas. We've received
            for film legislation since SB #1142 passed. It's an inactive bill until
            fully funded and continued correspondence to our representatives
            is imperative to stress the need for appropriations for this bill. Ours
            is a revenue generating industry, instead of revenue depleting. Instead
            of waiting for 2007 sessions, I'm encouraging EVERYONE to please start
            your letter campaign now. Forward this information on to other industry
            supporters whether they work in the industry or not. I've added a link
            below to assist you in finding your state representatives. Don't wait
            for the committees, start writing your own reps now for support. This
            should be done on a regular basis. Never assume they receive your first
            letter.

            Please make this a priority and do not wait for the next legislative
            session in 2007. Read on!

            http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/fyi/fyi.htm

            For Right To Work Laws in Texas:
            http://www.nrtw.org/rtws.htm

            SAG Website:
            www.sag.org <http://www.sag.org>

            AFTRA Website:
            www.aftra.org <http://www.aftra.org>

            SAMPLE LETTER below regarding legislation. Choose either Senator or
            Representative per letter pertaining to who you are contacting:

            The Honorable (insert name of Senator)

            TEXAS SENATE
            P.O. Box 12068
            Austin, Texas 78711

            The Honorable (insert name of Representative)
            TEXAS HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
            P.O. Box 2910
            Austin, Texas 78768-2910

            Dear Honorable_____________:

            (Please state what you do in this industry OR if you are a supporter of
            our film industry. They need to hear from everyone interested in our
            film industry whether you work in it or not, so encourage EVERYONE to
            write and pass this on.)

            We greatly appreciate the support and passing of Senate Bill 1142 to
            support film incentives. This bill passed in June 2005 but without
            necessary money appropriated. This bill is important to every Texan who
            works in the motion picture industry and to the many Texas businesses
            that service the industry. The investment in this bill will create an
            enormous financial return for the state, as Texas is poised to
            capitalize on its significant film infrastructure to grow a lucrative
            film industry here. Without this investment, the Texas film industry
            will continue to suffer as films which should be made in Texas continue
            to go to states with substantial incentive programs.

            While states with film incentive programs throughout the country are now
            enjoying higher levels of US production, Texas is experiencing a 35
            percent decline in production inquiries. It is estimated that an "on
            location" production will leave behind one-half of its budget in the
            state where it films. Since Texas has a great diversity in locations
            producers are known to take their projects to a variety of spots
            dispersing revenue to each area. Additionally, the many crew members
            also spend a good amount of money as they spend time in an area,
            sometimes many weeks on end. This revenue is treasured by small Texas
            towns and healthy to larger city economies. Films also stimulate
            tourism. Providing legislation to facilitate our industry could also
            provide more funding for public services, school funding, and health
            programs.

            Prior to the enactment of their incentives, many states had only a small
            amount of production work when compared to Texas. We know of several
            projects which wanted to film in Texas, but were told to go take
            advantage of incentives being offered elsewhere. There are now over 16
            states offering incentive packages.

            Please note that Texas has a long history in the motion picture industry
            and we have worked hard in recent years to become recognized world wide
            by the industry for being both skilled and professional at our crafts.
            Business investments in Texas have been made to provide the goods and
            services which the industry requires. These businesses exist throughout

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 12, 2006
              This information is fully updated. Please read carefully and make any
              necessary changes to it as needed. PLEASE stay diligent in this fight
              for film incentives for Texas. Thanks!

              *This email contains:
              **--Link to find your state representatives and contact information for
              letter writing (Updated link)
              --updated sample letter to your state reps (UPDATED letter)*
              *--Link to Right To Work Laws in Texas (and other RTW states)
              --State By State Film Incentives (I have a pdf attachment I can send you
              upon request; this list serve does not support attachments)*

              I am the Legislative Committee Chair for Dallas Producers Association.
              We need the assistance of everyone in and outside the industry to
              continue our requests for film incentives in Texas. We now have a Texas
              Film Incentive Program (aka SB 1142) but it is not as yet funded. It's
              an inactive bill until fully funded and continued correspondence to our
              representatives is imperative to stress the need for appropriations for
              this bill. Ours is a revenue generating industry, instead of revenue
              depleting. Instead of waiting for 2007 sessions, I'm encouraging
              EVERYONE to please start your letter campaign now. Forward this
              information on to other industry supporters whether they work in the
              industry or not. I've added a link below to assist you in finding your
              state representatives. Don't wait for the committees, start writing your
              own reps now for support. This should be done on a regular basis. Never
              assume they receive your first letter.

              The MOST important element of this grassroots campaign is to also MEET
              with your representatives or their aides personally. Especially if you
              are in an industry organization that would benefit from film incentives.
              Please forward this and get everyone on the bandwagon. Other states are
              beefing up incentives and others are passing new incentives, and
              we're getting left in the dust.

[...]

              The Texas Film Incentive Program (aka SB 1142) which passed in June 2005
              is important to every Texan who works in the motion picture industry and
              to the many Texas businesses that service the industry. The investment
              in this bill will create an enormous financial return for the state, as
              Texas is poised to capitalize on its significant film infrastructure to
              grow a lucrative film industry here. Without this investment, the Texas
              film industry will continue to suffer as films which should be made in
              Texas continue to go to states with substantial incentive programs.
              Since this program is part of Governor Perry's Trustee Program, we
              encourage your support for the health of Texas film and Texas economy.

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
                Texas Motion Picture Alliance
                Bringing Business to Texas
                ____________
                Governor wants more Hollywood to Texas
                $20 million incentive package proposed for filmmakers.
                By Mike Ward
                AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

                Tuesday, January 30, 2007

                Moving to stop what they describe as the growing evaporation of
                Texas'
                filmmaking industry, Gov. Rick Perry and other state leaders are
                pushing for a $20 million incentive plan to keep the cameras rolling
                in the Lone
                Star
                State.

                Officials on Monday confirmed the first details of the plan, which
                is
                designed to lure production companies to Texas with cash grants.
                Several neighboring states began offering similar incentives in
                2003, and
                since then, more than $704 million in production budgets and 4,500
                jobs
                have gone to other states, according to the Texas Film Commission.

                "We are at a severe competitive disadvantage with other states, and
                if we do not approve a film incentive package, Texas is going to see
                hundreds,
                if not thousands, of jobs migrate to other states," said Ted Royer,
                Perry's
                deputy press secretary.

                Two-thirds of the upcoming "Dallas" movie will be shot in
                Shreveport,
                La., the commission said. Twelve recent films that are set in Texas
                were
                filmed in other states and in Canada. Some scenes from "El Paso"
                were filmed
                in New Orleans.

                Although details of the plan, which requires legislative approval,
                are still being worked out, officials said the film incentives would
                work like
                this: Of the proposed $20 million, $10 million would be available
                for
                feature films, $8 million for television productions and $2 million
                for TV
                commercials and digital interactive media, which includes video
                games.

                To qualify for the incentives, in-state spending would have to be at

                least $10 million for feature film companies, $10 million for
                television
                productions and at least $1 million for commercials and interactive
                media projects.

                Maximum grants would be $1.5 million per feature film, $2 million
                for
                a TV production and $100,000 for commercials and interactive,
                officials
                said. Eighty percent of crew members and talent for qualifying
                projects
                would have to reside in Texas, according to Royer and others
                crafting the plan.

                Two states bordering Texas, New Mexico and Louisiana, approved their
                programs in 2003. They are considered the most aggressive nationally

                and have seen their movie and television production business
                mushroom in
                the years since.

                "The business is leaving Texas for other states," Lt. Gov. David
                Dewhurst said.

                In Louisiana, tax credits equal to 25 percent of all in-state
                spending go to filmmakers and 35 percent of the payroll must be
                Louisiana residents.
                New Mexico offers refunds equal to 25 percent of in-state spending,
                including payroll, according to the Texas Film Commission.

                Two years ago, the Legislature approved the Texas Film Incentive
                Program. Funding for it, however, was not included in the budget.

                Much of Texas' film work force is now working in Louisiana and New
                Mexico, state and Austin officials said.
                "What incentives do you offer? That's the first question they ask

                always, always, always," said Gary Bond, director of film marketing
                for the
                Austin Convention and Visitors Bureau.

                "There are companies that won't even look at us because we don't
                have
                any incentives."

                In the past year, Bond said, movie and television productions filmed

                in Austin had budgets totaling about $125 million ‹ and about
                half of
                that was spent locally. Because Austin has more film infrastructure
                and more
                diverse locations, it hasn't been as badly hurt as other parts of
                Texas, he
                said.

                "It would be a tremendous help," Bond said of an incentive fund.
                More
                than 350 features and made-for-TV movies have been filmed in Austin
                during
                the past 20 years, Austin Film Commission statistics show.

                For seven years, Austin has been listed among the top U.S. cities
                for
                moviemaking by MovieMaker Magazine, a trade publication. Last year,
                Austin dropped from second to third ‹ behind New York and
                Philadelphia.

                mward@... <mailto:mward%40statesman.com>