Re: [SouthSuburbanSnB] SouthSuburban SnB Cards

  • Emily Franz
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
      I love it!  Thanks for doing this...it looks really professional!

      Emily

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
        That is mighty damn cool!

        Regarding what Rebecca said, she's right. Stitch n Bitch is a
        registered trademark. (and not Debbie Stoller's either).

        Would it be possible to change the text to something like "Stitchin
        and Bitchin?" Or something like that?

        I just don't want you to get into legal trouble. (I'm still dealing
        with that stupid store in New York).

        Becca/Tzurriz

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
          Becca, did the store contact you directly?

          The latest update on that situation is that people are gathering evidence of "stitch and bitch" being used as a term for knitting/quilting/whatever groups in years prior to 1998.  The store is claiming they coined the phrase then, and no one else had ever thought of it.  I bet you could find it in flippin' Shakespeare, everything's in there.  But anyway, their trademark is being appealed because it should not have been approved in the first place; it's in the vernacular and can't be trademarked.  It's like a school trying to trademark the word "school".

          --
          Jennifer Adams Donnelly
          708-227-7447

          From: "Becca" <tzurriz@...>
          That is mighty damn cool!

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
            Oh, one more thing- I had always liked the name "Sedgewick Knitters" because it sounds cool and is very obscure.  Sedgewick is the original name of the village of Orland Park.  It was named Sedgewick for a handful of years in the mid-late 1800s.  But it's way out there, so pretty much unassailable.  Plus I don't like having to explain to my son why it's ok to say, "bitch" and not ok for him to.

            --
            Jennifer Adams Donnelly
            708-227-7447

            From: "Becca" <tzurriz@...>
            That is mighty damn cool!

            Regarding what Rebecca said, she's right.  Stitch n Bitch is a
            registered trademark.  (and not Debbie Stoller's either).

            Would it be possible to change the text to something like "Stitchin
            and Bitchin?" Or something like that?

            I just don't want you to get into legal trouble.  (I'm still dealing
            with that stupid store in New York).

            Becca/Tzurriz

            --- In SouthSuburbanSnB@yahoogroups.com, "Kris" <mommy_of_mac@...> wrote:

            > I designed a little business card for our knitting group. I see people
            > knitting all the time and figured it would be an easy and quick way to
            > let others know about us. When you get a chance check out the PDF
            > posted under "Files". I was going to print some and if anyone else is
            > interested I'll make copies and bring them to the next meeting.
            >
            > Plus, if you see any mistakes on these cards please respond, thanks.
            >
            > TTYS
            > Kris

          • Kris
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
              I see your point. I'll talk to my boss about trademarks, but from what I
              remember it might only matter when your selling products or service. I was
              hoping that with added tag under Stich 'n Bitch "South Suburban Chicago"
              would seperate us from the trademark issue. Do you think I should post a
              message to Debbie Stoller?

              Kris