Re: SouthSuburban SnB Cards

  • radomzal
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
      I think the card is a great idea to reach out to other knitters.

      The design looks good, my only comment is with the use of the
      phrase "Stitch 'n Bitch." I know that there's been the lawsuit filed
      and that all the Yahoo groups had to change their names to SnB . . .
      so, are we allowed to call ourselves "Stitch 'n Bitch"? I haven't
      followed the lawsuit close enough to know what we can and cannot do.

      Long story short, keep the cards if we can legally use the name, i
      really like the design and the concept!

      ~Rebecca

      --- In SouthSuburbanSnB@yahoogroups.com, "Kris" <mommy_of_mac@...>
      wrote:

      > I designed a little business card for our knitting group. I see
      people
      > knitting all the time and figured it would be an easy and quick way
      > let others know about us. When you get a chance check out the PDF
      > posted under "Files". I was going to print some and if anyone else is
      > interested I'll make copies and bring them to the next meeting.
      >
      > Plus, if you see any mistakes on these cards please respond, thanks.
      >
      > TTYS
      > Kris

    • Emily Franz
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
        I love it!  Thanks for doing this...it looks really professional!

        Emily

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
          That is mighty damn cool!

          Regarding what Rebecca said, she's right. Stitch n Bitch is a
          registered trademark. (and not Debbie Stoller's either).

          Would it be possible to change the text to something like "Stitchin
          and Bitchin?" Or something like that?

          I just don't want you to get into legal trouble. (I'm still dealing
          with that stupid store in New York).

          Becca/Tzurriz

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
            Becca, did the store contact you directly?

            The latest update on that situation is that people are gathering evidence of "stitch and bitch" being used as a term for knitting/quilting/whatever groups in years prior to 1998.  The store is claiming they coined the phrase then, and no one else had ever thought of it.  I bet you could find it in flippin' Shakespeare, everything's in there.  But anyway, their trademark is being appealed because it should not have been approved in the first place; it's in the vernacular and can't be trademarked.  It's like a school trying to trademark the word "school".

            --
            Jennifer Adams Donnelly
            708-227-7447

            From: "Becca" <tzurriz@...>
            That is mighty damn cool!

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
              Oh, one more thing- I had always liked the name "Sedgewick Knitters" because it sounds cool and is very obscure.  Sedgewick is the original name of the village of Orland Park.  It was named Sedgewick for a handful of years in the mid-late 1800s.  But it's way out there, so pretty much unassailable.  Plus I don't like having to explain to my son why it's ok to say, "bitch" and not ok for him to.

              --
              Jennifer Adams Donnelly
              708-227-7447

              From: "Becca" <tzurriz@...>
              That is mighty damn cool!

              Regarding what Rebecca said, she's right.  Stitch n Bitch is a
              registered trademark.  (and not Debbie Stoller's either).

              Would it be possible to change the text to something like "Stitchin
              and Bitchin?" Or something like that?

              I just don't want you to get into legal trouble.  (I'm still dealing
              with that stupid store in New York).

              Becca/Tzurriz

              --- In SouthSuburbanSnB@yahoogroups.com, "Kris" <mommy_of_mac@...> wrote:

              > I designed a little business card for our knitting group. I see people
              > knitting all the time and figured it would be an easy and quick way to
              > let others know about us. When you get a chance check out the PDF
              > posted under "Files". I was going to print some and if anyone else is
              > interested I'll make copies and bring them to the next meeting.
              >
              > Plus, if you see any mistakes on these cards please respond, thanks.
              >
              > TTYS
              > Kris

            • Kris
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
                I see your point. I'll talk to my boss about trademarks, but from what I
                remember it might only matter when your selling products or service. I was
                hoping that with added tag under Stich 'n Bitch "South Suburban Chicago"
                would seperate us from the trademark issue. Do you think I should post a
                message to Debbie Stoller?

                Kris