Re: [SouthSuburbanSnB] Re: Free Best Embroidery Design

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 24, 2008
      Just fyi, madam moderator, this same person appears to be harvesting
      yahoo group addresses via grouply. Then they sign on to these groups
      as new group members under a variety of email addresses and spam the
      groups with identical or related spam messages. You might want to
      keep an eye on anyone who requests to join over the next few weeks or
      months just in case.

      Grouply is a terrible, awful thing, and if any of you got roped into
      it, I would recommend you get out asap. They say it's a way to manage
      your yahoo groups -- but you can manage them through yahoo. You don't
      need grouply. In order to join grouply, you have to give them your
      yahoo login information, meaning they can use your id to read your
      email, harvest your address book, send messages under your id, and
      get into all your private groups.

      Then they sell all this harvested information. I can report that my
      spam traffic about quadrupled after a grouply spammer found one of my
      small, private knitting lists and started causing trouble over there.
      Grouply addresses have been banned at most of my writing lists.

      They say that once you're in grouply, your yahoo account is as good
      as dead. You can't just cancel grouply and go on as things were
      pre-grouply. You have to create a whole new yahoo identity.

      It may be that nobody on this list is in grouply. But that seems to
      be the way these "free embroidery" people are accessing accounts.
      They're causing trouble on some other lists with repeat spam
      messages. On one of my knitting lists, the moderator had to kill the
      membership of anyone with a grouply id, including some folks who had
      been founding members and were very active on the lists.

      Moral of the story: never, ever, under any circumstances, give any of
      your passwords to anyone. The new penalty for violating this rule is
      to be shunned by your e-friends and kicked out of all your groups.

      End of rant.

      Theresa

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs