Your Stitch 'n Bitch YahooGroups List

  • Debbie Stoller
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2006
      Dear Stitchers 'n Bitchers:

      It has come to my attention that the moderators of a number of Stitch 'n
      Bitch groups who host their mailing lists using Yahoo Groups' free mailing
      list services have received notices from Yahoo advising them that they must
      delete the wording STITCH N BITCH from their Yahoo!Group URL and any
      references to STITCH N BITCH in the GROUP itself. This notice is a result of
      a objection filed by Sew Fast Sew Easy Inc., a New York company, who is
      claiming rights to this wording.

      A number of you have been emailing me asking what to do. I have spoken about
      this matter with my attorneys. First of all, please realize that you are not
      being asked in this notice to change the name of your actual knitting group,
      just the group designation you use on the Yahoo group and Yahoo URL, if you
      want to keep using their free email services. Unfortunately, there is no
      immediate recourse with Yahoo other than to make the change at this time.
      They require this as soon as anybody makes any kind of claim--they do not
      evaluate the merits of the claim. This being the case, one idea is to simply
      change any references to STITCH n BITCH in your Yahoo Group name to some
      alternative such as SNB (i.e, StitchnBitch-NYC would become SNB-NYC. Easier
      to type, too!) Your group moderator can easily make this change via the
      Yahoogroups control panel.

      I know how much we value these lists as a way to communicate with our
      groups, and I think we should all try to avoid the possible loss of our
      group lists if Yahoo proceeds with a shut down. Also, I'd like you to remind
      you that the group moderator can export the members list at any time (just
      go to "members" then "export"), and save it somewhere special.

      Finally, if you decide to change your Yahoo Groups name or move your list,
      please be sure to have some one from your group let Brenda know so she can
      change it on her www.stitchnbitch.org site.

      Thanks!

      Debbie Stoller
      http://www.knithappens.com