Re: [SouthSuburbanSnB] HI! From NY!

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 7, 2007
      Vicky! So good to hear from you! Congratulations on the new job. :D

      Yes, if you're in town, I would love to do a special edition SnB to
      hear all your news. Count me in!

      Theresa

      --- Apolonia Skywalk <nia_mac@...> wrote:

      > Hi Everyone!
      >
      > Sorry I haven't been keeping in contact, but I haven't had reliable
      >
      > access to the internet!
      >
      > I hope you all are doing well.
      >
      > I was just hired at The Book Report Network
      > (http://www.bookreporter.com) to do HTML. Read my Bio!
      > http://www.bookreporter.com/aboutus.asp#vicky
      >
      > Anyhow, I will have pix of the scarf I made with the yarn and
      > needles you all gave me! I dunno if I said so before, but The
      > Point
      > Knitting Cafe totally rocks :-D
      >
      > I wish I had more time to relay information to you all, but I have
      > to run over to my brother's house for dinner!
      >
      > I MAY be coming in for the Easter Weekend... If I do, does anyone
      > want to meet with me at Caribou to knit? Let me know please ;-)
      >
      > I can be gotten the EASIEST at work ( Vicky@... ) Hope
      >
      > to hear from you!
      >
      > Vicky

      > --------------------~-->
      > Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email
      > design.
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/kOt0.A/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/PTTolB/TM

      Get your own web address.
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 7, 2007
        Selbuvotter. Told ya it was one of those great Scandinavian names.
        Anyway, here's the text of the post from the author of the new mitten
        book. It sounds pretty cool.
        Theresa

        >Here's my story, in a nutshell:
        >
        >In 2004 I realized that my little baby would eventually be entering
        kindergarten and that I would want to go back to work. I didn't want
        to return to web
        development, which is what I did before she was born. It's fun work
        but the
        hours can be killer, and in the computer field you end up spending a
        lot of your
        off-work time keeping up with the state of the art. It just wasn't
        going to cut
        it. I thought about going back to school to finish my anthropology
        degree.
        One day I got a catalog in the mail from the University of Washington
        Extension
        Services. College-level programs for grown ups, who already have
        lives and
        something of an education, who might want further education or a new
        career
        direction. When I saw the Museum Studies program I thought it
        sounded perfect. So I
        signed up.

        >Classes were held every other Saturday for 9 months, and included
        general
        museum structures and organization, educational programming,
        collections
        management, registration methods (which means how you keep track of
        all the stuff), fund
        raising, exhibit design, and a practicum. My little girl was in
        preschool for
        just a few hours every morning, so I wanted a practicum that was
        close to home
        so I wouldn't waste my time in driving all over town. The Nordic
        Heritage
        Museum is just a mile from my house, and I knew they had a large
        textile
        collection. And, the Collections Manager there was one of the
        instructors. So just a few
        weeks into the program I volunteered to work at Nordic. I mentioned
        my
        knitting and other needlework as some kind of "expertise" to get me
        in; that and my
        computer skills.

        >The first task they set me to was to go through the mitten box, and
        look them
        all over with a knitter's eye, then add any data to the
        (computerized)
        collections database that I thought should be added.

        >When I opened that box, I fell head over heels. I've always liked
        clean,
        2-color geometric designs. I just do. Blackwork, peasant cross
        stitch. That kind
        of stuff. So when I saw similar patterns in knitting I was totally
        overwhelmed. Three mornings a week I came in to do the cataloging,
        and when I told Lisa
        the Collections Mgr how much I would love to reproduce this one pair,
        she
        thought that would be a great practicum for me. So we got permission
        from the
        University, and that's what I did.

        >What I found, though, was that there was no single-source of
        information about
        Selbu knits. There was a brief section in Traditional Scandinavian
        Knitting,
        and a little in Everyday Knitting, but not a full telling of the
        whole story.
        So I did some googling, got in touch with the museum in Selbu and
        Annichen
        Sibbern Bohn's daughter, and started piecing the story together.

        >"Selbuvotter :: Biography of a Knitting Tradition" is the sum of my
        research.
        In it I tell the history of the selbuvotter and the business of Selbu
        knitting,
        then trace the tradition through the 19th & 20th century to today. I

        reproduced about 30 (I think it's 31 but who's counting?) patterns
        from the museum and
        from some pieces borrowed from Annemor Sundbo, who is the nicest
        person ever.
        ( I sent her an email asking to borrow some of her mittens: it was a
        rewrite
        of one of my exhibit class homework assignments! I can't believe she
        said YES!)
        I also outline the techniques, but selbuvotter are NOT difficult to
        knit. (I
        am very proud of the section on setting in glove fingers, though. If
        I do say
        so myself. :D)

        >I self published the book because although all the traditional
        publishers I
        submitted to liked it, it didn't fit into their publishing schedule.
        So with a
        kick in the rear from a good friend, I took the plunge to do it
        myself.

        >So, that's basically it. I hope you like my book, I had quite an
        adventure
        writing and publishing it. I feel deeply privileged to be able to
        present this
        tradition to the world, and I hope I do the Selbu knitters justice.

        >Terri Shea
        >author, "Selbuvotter :: Biography of a Knitting Tradition"
        >http://www.selbuvotter.com/
        >
        >terri@...

        Be a PS3 game guru.
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
          Just like Theresa said, we miss you and are so glad you emailed!

          Of course we'd like to get together. It sounds like New York is great
          for you. I'm so glad. (((hugs)))

          Can't wait until easter!

          Becca

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
            I mentioned this blog last night--

            http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/

            I don't go there to read about knitting, but to look at his
            droolworthy yarn p0rn.

            Never miss an email again!
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
              I've been to that sight before... great photos.

              Here is a great website to advise you on purchasing a
              digital camera.
              http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/camera/inputSummary.do

              It can quickly weed out any unwanted cameras or help
              you to understand what the features are.

              Here is the camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7K) I've
              been thinking about getting.
              http://www.42photo.com/productdetail.asp?level=119&catid=325&productid=13431&ref=pricegrabber

              If I'm going to spend a ton a cash on an upgrade...I'm
              doing the homework;)

              ~K

              --- Theresa Stevens <tstevens_pers@...> wrote:

              > I mentioned this blog last night--
              >
              > http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/
              >
              > I don't go there to read about knitting, but to look
              > at his
              > droolworthy yarn p0rn.

              > Never miss an email again!
              > Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail
              > arrives.

              8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
                Thanks, Kris. This is just what I need. I've checked some consumer
                sites but since I know zippety-do-dah about digital cameras, they
                didn't really give me the info I needed.

                Theresa

                --- KRISTEN CARLSON <mommy_of_mac@...> wrote:

                > I've been to that sight before... great photos.
                >
                > Here is a great website to advise you on purchasing a
                > digital camera.
                > http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/camera/inputSummary.do
                >
                > It can quickly weed out any unwanted cameras or help
                > you to understand what the features are.
                >
                > Here is the camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7K) I've
                > been thinking about getting.

                http://www.42photo.com/productdetail.asp?level=119&catid=325&productid=13431&ref=pricegrabber

                > If I'm going to spend a ton a cash on an upgrade...I'm
                > doing the homework;)
                >
                > ~K
                >

                > --- Theresa Stevens <tstevens_pers@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I mentioned this blog last night--
                > >
                > > http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/
                > >
                > > I don't go there to read about knitting, but to look
                > > at his
                > > droolworthy yarn p0rn.
                > >
                > > Theresa

                > > Never miss an email again!
                > > Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail
                > > arrives.
                > > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/

                > --------------------~-->
                > Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email
                > design.
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/PTTolB/TM

                Finding fabulous fares is fun.
                Message 7 of 12 , May 24 2:37 PM
                  Did you all see the new heather colors from knitpicks?

                  http://www.knitpicks.com/Telemark_YD5420152.html

                  I'm kinda digging that delft. Who's knit with telemark? Anyone? How
                  does it feel?

                  Theresa

                  ____________________________________________________________________________________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 24 2:48 PM
                    Why would I hate it?  I could knit a very colorful and very scratchy thing from it.

                    Theresa Stevens <tstevens_pers@...> wrote:
                    Did you all see the new heather colors from knitpicks?

                    http://www.knitpick s.com/Telemark_ YD5420152. html

                    I'm kinda digging that delft. Who's knit with telemark? Anyone? How
                    does it feel?

                    Theresa

                    ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.
                    http://new.toolbar. yahoo.com/ toolbar/features /mail/index. php

                    Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 24 6:39 PM
                        You just like things a little twisted. hehehehe

                        ____________________________________________________________________________________Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7
                      • nia_mac@niaskywalk.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 25 7:01 AM
                          You know... I am not a big fan of duplicate stitch... if I want to
                          embroider, I will work on my cross-stitch... but danged if I don't
                          want to try that knot pattern and color set as Intarsia Cables... of
                          sorts... maybe Fair Isle would be better ;-)

                          Vicky