HI! From NY!

  • Apolonia Skywalk
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 7, 2007
      Hi Everyone!

      Sorry I haven't been keeping in contact, but I haven't had reliable
      access to the internet!

      I hope you all are doing well.

      I was just hired at The Book Report Network
      (http://www.bookreporter.com) to do HTML. Read my Bio!
      http://www.bookreporter.com/aboutus.asp#vicky

      Anyhow, I will have pix of the scarf I made with the yarn and
      needles you all gave me! I dunno if I said so before, but The Point
      Knitting Cafe totally rocks :-D

      I wish I had more time to relay information to you all, but I have
      to run over to my brother's house for dinner!

      I MAY be coming in for the Easter Weekend... If I do, does anyone
      want to meet with me at Caribou to knit? Let me know please ;-)

      I can be gotten the EASIEST at work ( Vicky@... ) Hope
      to hear from you!

      Vicky
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 7, 2007
        Vicky! So good to hear from you! Congratulations on the new job. :D

        Yes, if you're in town, I would love to do a special edition SnB to
        hear all your news. Count me in!

        Theresa

        --- Apolonia Skywalk <nia_mac@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone!
        >
        > Sorry I haven't been keeping in contact, but I haven't had reliable
        >
        > access to the internet!
        >
        > I hope you all are doing well.
        >
        > I was just hired at The Book Report Network
        > (http://www.bookreporter.com) to do HTML. Read my Bio!
        > http://www.bookreporter.com/aboutus.asp#vicky
        >
        > Anyhow, I will have pix of the scarf I made with the yarn and
        > needles you all gave me! I dunno if I said so before, but The
        > Point
        > Knitting Cafe totally rocks :-D
        >
        > I wish I had more time to relay information to you all, but I have
        > to run over to my brother's house for dinner!
        >
        > I MAY be coming in for the Easter Weekend... If I do, does anyone
        > want to meet with me at Caribou to knit? Let me know please ;-)
        >
        > I can be gotten the EASIEST at work ( Vicky@... ) Hope
        >
        > to hear from you!
        >
        > Vicky

        > --------------------~-->
        > Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email
        > design.
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/kOt0.A/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/PTTolB/TM

        Get your own web address.
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 7, 2007
          Selbuvotter. Told ya it was one of those great Scandinavian names.
          Anyway, here's the text of the post from the author of the new mitten
          book. It sounds pretty cool.
          Theresa

          >Here's my story, in a nutshell:
          >
          >In 2004 I realized that my little baby would eventually be entering
          kindergarten and that I would want to go back to work. I didn't want
          to return to web
          development, which is what I did before she was born. It's fun work
          but the
          hours can be killer, and in the computer field you end up spending a
          lot of your
          off-work time keeping up with the state of the art. It just wasn't
          going to cut
          it. I thought about going back to school to finish my anthropology
          degree.
          One day I got a catalog in the mail from the University of Washington
          Extension
          Services. College-level programs for grown ups, who already have
          lives and
          something of an education, who might want further education or a new
          career
          direction. When I saw the Museum Studies program I thought it
          sounded perfect. So I
          signed up.

          >Classes were held every other Saturday for 9 months, and included
          general
          museum structures and organization, educational programming,
          collections
          management, registration methods (which means how you keep track of
          all the stuff), fund
          raising, exhibit design, and a practicum. My little girl was in
          preschool for
          just a few hours every morning, so I wanted a practicum that was
          close to home
          so I wouldn't waste my time in driving all over town. The Nordic
          Heritage
          Museum is just a mile from my house, and I knew they had a large
          textile
          collection. And, the Collections Manager there was one of the
          instructors. So just a few
          weeks into the program I volunteered to work at Nordic. I mentioned
          my
          knitting and other needlework as some kind of "expertise" to get me
          in; that and my
          computer skills.

          >The first task they set me to was to go through the mitten box, and
          look them
          all over with a knitter's eye, then add any data to the
          (computerized)
          collections database that I thought should be added.

          >When I opened that box, I fell head over heels. I've always liked
          clean,
          2-color geometric designs. I just do. Blackwork, peasant cross
          stitch. That kind
          of stuff. So when I saw similar patterns in knitting I was totally
          overwhelmed. Three mornings a week I came in to do the cataloging,
          and when I told Lisa
          the Collections Mgr how much I would love to reproduce this one pair,
          she
          thought that would be a great practicum for me. So we got permission
          from the
          University, and that's what I did.

          >What I found, though, was that there was no single-source of
          information about
          Selbu knits. There was a brief section in Traditional Scandinavian
          Knitting,
          and a little in Everyday Knitting, but not a full telling of the
          whole story.
          So I did some googling, got in touch with the museum in Selbu and
          Annichen
          Sibbern Bohn's daughter, and started piecing the story together.

          >"Selbuvotter :: Biography of a Knitting Tradition" is the sum of my
          research.
          In it I tell the history of the selbuvotter and the business of Selbu
          knitting,
          then trace the tradition through the 19th & 20th century to today. I

          reproduced about 30 (I think it's 31 but who's counting?) patterns
          from the museum and
          from some pieces borrowed from Annemor Sundbo, who is the nicest
          person ever.
          ( I sent her an email asking to borrow some of her mittens: it was a
          rewrite
          of one of my exhibit class homework assignments! I can't believe she
          said YES!)
          I also outline the techniques, but selbuvotter are NOT difficult to
          knit. (I
          am very proud of the section on setting in glove fingers, though. If
          I do say
          so myself. :D)

          >I self published the book because although all the traditional
          publishers I
          submitted to liked it, it didn't fit into their publishing schedule.
          So with a
          kick in the rear from a good friend, I took the plunge to do it
          myself.

          >So, that's basically it. I hope you like my book, I had quite an
          adventure
          writing and publishing it. I feel deeply privileged to be able to
          present this
          tradition to the world, and I hope I do the Selbu knitters justice.

          >Terri Shea
          >author, "Selbuvotter :: Biography of a Knitting Tradition"
          >http://www.selbuvotter.com/
          >
          >terri@...

          Be a PS3 game guru.
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
            Just like Theresa said, we miss you and are so glad you emailed!

            Of course we'd like to get together. It sounds like New York is great
            for you. I'm so glad. (((hugs)))

            Can't wait until easter!

            Becca

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
              I mentioned this blog last night--

              http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/

              I don't go there to read about knitting, but to look at his
              droolworthy yarn p0rn.

              Never miss an email again!
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
                I've been to that sight before... great photos.

                Here is a great website to advise you on purchasing a
                digital camera.
                http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/camera/inputSummary.do

                It can quickly weed out any unwanted cameras or help
                you to understand what the features are.

                Here is the camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7K) I've
                been thinking about getting.
                http://www.42photo.com/productdetail.asp?level=119&catid=325&productid=13431&ref=pricegrabber

                If I'm going to spend a ton a cash on an upgrade...I'm
                doing the homework;)

                ~K

                --- Theresa Stevens <tstevens_pers@...> wrote:

                > I mentioned this blog last night--
                >
                > http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/
                >
                > I don't go there to read about knitting, but to look
                > at his
                > droolworthy yarn p0rn.

                > Never miss an email again!
                > Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail
                > arrives.

                8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 8, 2007
                  Thanks, Kris. This is just what I need. I've checked some consumer
                  sites but since I know zippety-do-dah about digital cameras, they
                  didn't really give me the info I needed.

                  Theresa

                  --- KRISTEN CARLSON <mommy_of_mac@...> wrote:

                  > I've been to that sight before... great photos.
                  >
                  > Here is a great website to advise you on purchasing a
                  > digital camera.
                  > http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/camera/inputSummary.do
                  >
                  > It can quickly weed out any unwanted cameras or help
                  > you to understand what the features are.
                  >
                  > Here is the camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7K) I've
                  > been thinking about getting.

                  http://www.42photo.com/productdetail.asp?level=119&catid=325&productid=13431&ref=pricegrabber

                  > If I'm going to spend a ton a cash on an upgrade...I'm
                  > doing the homework;)
                  >
                  > ~K
                  >

                  > --- Theresa Stevens <tstevens_pers@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I mentioned this blog last night--
                  > >
                  > > http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/
                  > >
                  > > I don't go there to read about knitting, but to look
                  > > at his
                  > > droolworthy yarn p0rn.
                  > >
                  > > Theresa

                  > > Never miss an email again!
                  > > Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail
                  > > arrives.
                  > > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/

                  > --------------------~-->
                  > Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email
                  > design.
                  > http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/PTTolB/TM

                  Finding fabulous fares is fun.
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 24, 2007
                    Did you all see the new heather colors from knitpicks?

                    http://www.knitpicks.com/Telemark_YD5420152.html

                    I'm kinda digging that delft. Who's knit with telemark? Anyone? How
                    does it feel?

                    Theresa

                    ____________________________________________________________________________________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 24, 2007
                      Why would I hate it?  I could knit a very colorful and very scratchy thing from it.

                      Theresa Stevens <tstevens_pers@...> wrote:
                      Did you all see the new heather colors from knitpicks?

                      http://www.knitpick s.com/Telemark_ YD5420152. html

                      I'm kinda digging that delft. Who's knit with telemark? Anyone? How
                      does it feel?

                      Theresa

                      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.
                      http://new.toolbar. yahoo.com/ toolbar/features /mail/index. php

                      Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 24, 2007
                          You just like things a little twisted. hehehehe

                          ____________________________________________________________________________________Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7
                        • nia_mac@niaskywalk.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 25, 2007
                            You know... I am not a big fan of duplicate stitch... if I want to
                            embroider, I will work on my cross-stitch... but danged if I don't
                            want to try that knot pattern and color set as Intarsia Cables... of
                            sorts... maybe Fair Isle would be better ;-)

                            Vicky