Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [SouthSuburbanSnB] Stitch Pattern Books

Expand Messages
  • KRISTEN CARLSON
    Oh what fun!! a vacation...can I come? I totally need a holiday. I m hoping to get the Wed before Thanksgiving off just to extend the time. Enjoy Jen! ...
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      Oh what fun!! a vacation...can I come? I totally need
      a holiday. I'm hoping to get the Wed before
      Thanksgiving off just to extend the time.

      Enjoy Jen!

      --- donnellyja@... wrote:

      > The Walker books are really, really cool. Each
      > volume has some cables in it. I have 1-3, I think. I
      > don't think I have 4. I would bring them if I was
      > coming this week, but we're leaving for Florida
      > Wednesday and I will be in Chattanooga by SnB time!
      >
      > --
      > Jennifer Adams Donnelly
      > 708-227-7447
      >
      > -------------- Original message --------------
      > From: KRISTEN CARLSON <mommy_of_mac@...>
      > I've seen the Walker covers before, but haven't
      > gotten
      > to look thru them. Might have to put one of these
      > books on My Holiday gift list:)
      >
      > --- Theresa Stevens <tstevens_pers@...> wrote:
      >
      > > The ladies in my aran knitting e-group all love
      > the
      > > four Barbara
      > > Walker stitch dictionaries. They're constantly
      > > debating which is best
      > > or celebrating because they've just completed the
      > > set. I think only
      > > books three and four are charted -- and watch out,
      > > because Barbara
      > > Walker also has a stitch dictionary of mosaic
      > > patterns, which are not
      > > part of the four-book series.
      > >
      > > Anyway, you might be able to find one or several
      > at
      > > the library. I
      > > know the Oak Lawn library has at least one of the
      > > volumes.
      > >
      > > I'm not all that familiar with the Vogue
      > > dictionaries, but I do know
      > > that volume two is the cable volume and that my
      > aran
      > > knitters group
      > > has rated it a good primer, rather than a
      > > comprehensive manual.
      > >
      > > Theresa
      > >
      > >
      > > --- Kris <mommy_of_mac@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > I was looking at the Vogue Stitchary Vol One and
      > > fell in love...it
      > > > would be perfect to help
      > > > me decide on patterns for these dish/face
      > clothes.
      > > The bad part is
      > > > the price...$30 bucks. I
      > > > went to Micheals with my 50% off coupon, but
      > they
      > > didn't have the
      > > > book. Was hoping I
      > > > could borrow the book from one of you lovely
      > > ladies at the next
      > > > SnB.
      > > >
      > > > Also, was wondering if anyone could recommend a
      > > good book on cables
      > > > stitches. I saw
      > > > one on Amazon, but nothing at the bookstores. I
      > > would rather see
      > > > what I'm getting before
      > > > buying the book.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for any suggestions.
      > > > Kris
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      >
      __________________________________________________________
      > > Cheap talk?
      > > Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call
      > > rates.
      > > http://voice.yahoo.com
      > >
      >
      >
      __________________________________________________________
      > Cheap talk?
      > Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call
      > rates.
      > http://voice.yahoo.com
      >
      >




      ____________________________________________________________________________________
      Do you Yahoo!?
      Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.
      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
    • aleta stoler
      You could call and ask if they have it. They can then look up the book on their system and tell you where it is. They can also transfer a book from one library
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        You could call and ask if they have it. They can then look up the book on their system and tell you where it is. They can also transfer a book from one library to another if you ask nicely.

        KRISTEN CARLSON <mommy_of_mac@...> wrote:
        I've been to the Flossmoor and Homewood Libraries -
        they don't have much of a selection. I really need to
        widen my searches next time I go and take advantage of
        the interlibrary idea.

        --- donnellyja@comcast. net wrote:

        > I was at the Orland Park Library the other day and
        > noticed an Alice Starmore book on Arans. I didn't
        > have time to look through it, but it's probably very
        > interesting. You could get it brought to your local
        > library through interlibrary loan- or you could go
        > check it out. The villages all honor each other's
        > library cards.
        >
        > --
        > Jennifer Adams Donnelly
        > 708-227-7447
        >
        > ------------ -- Original message ------------ --
        > From: Theresa Stevens <tstevens_pers@ yahoo.com>
        > The ladies in my aran knitting e-group all love the
        > four Barbara
        > Walker stitch dictionaries. They're constantly
        > debating which is best
        > or celebrating because they've just completed the
        > set. I think only
        > books three and four are charted -- and watch out,
        > because Barbara
        > Walker also has a stitch dictionary of mosaic
        > patterns, which are not
        > part of the four-book series.
        >
        > Anyway, you might be able to find one or several at
        > the library. I
        > know the Oak Lawn library has at least one of the
        > volumes.
        >
        > I'm not all that familiar with the Vogue
        > dictionaries, but I do know
        > that volume two is the cable volume and that my aran
        > knitters group
        > has rated it a good primer, rather than a
        > comprehensive manual.
        >
        > Theresa
        >
        > --- Kris <mommy_of_mac@ yahoo.com> wrote:
        >
        > > I was looking at the Vogue Stitchary Vol One and
        > fell in love...it
        > > would be perfect to help
        > > me decide on patterns for these dish/face clothes.
        > The bad part is
        > > the price...$30 bucks. I
        > > went to Micheals with my 50% off coupon, but they
        > didn't have the
        > > book. Was hoping I
        > > could borrow the book from one of you lovely
        > ladies at the next
        > > SnB.
        > >
        > > Also, was wondering if anyone could recommend a
        > good book on cables
        > > stitches. I saw
        > > one on Amazon, but nothing at the bookstores. I
        > would rather see
        > > what I'm getting before
        > > buying the book.
        > >
        > > Thanks for any suggestions.
        > > Kris
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        >
        >
        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _
        > Cheap talk?
        > Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call
        > rates.
        > http://voice. yahoo.com
        >
        >

        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _
        Do you Yahoo!?
        Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.
        http://new.mail. yahoo.com


        Cheap Talk? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.

      • donnellyja@comcast.net
        Check out this link: http://swan.sls.lib.il.us/ You can do everything from here, I think you can even order books on interlibrary loan from home, then your
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          Check out this link: http://swan.sls.lib.il.us/
          You can do everything from here, I think you can even order books on interlibrary loan from home, then your local library will call you when it arrives and hold it for you.
           
          And, for some reason, it is apparently NOT a copyright violation to photocopy library books. or so I understand. My own, dinky Crestwood library has Textured Knits, which has two nice sweater patterns I copied out for myself.
           
          Get on that Alice Starmore if you have any interest- her books are like hen's teeth. Whatever that means!
           
          Oh, and I miss you guys (ladies!) things are slowing down now. I should be back after Thanksgiving!
           
          One last thing- Knitting Etc. is giving double punches on loyalty cards through the 22nd- you get twice as many punches for your purchases.
           
          --
          Jennifer Adams Donnelly
          708-227-7447
           
          -------------- Original message --------------
          From: aleta stoler <stoler2001@...>

          You could call and ask if they have it. They can then look up the book on their system and tell you where it is. They can also transfer a book from one library to another if you ask nicely.

          KRISTEN CARLSON <mommy_of_mac@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          I've been to the Flossmoor and Homewood Libraries -
          they don't have much of a selection. I really need to
          widen my searches next time I go and take advantage of
          the interlibrary idea.

          --- donnellyja@comcast. net wrote:

          > I was at the Orland Park Library the other day and
          > noticed an Alice Starmore book on Arans. I didn't
          > have time to look through it, but it's probably very
          > interesting. You could get it brought to your local
          > library through interlibrary loan- or you could go
          > check it out. The villages all honor each other's
          > library cards.
          >
          > --
          > Jennifer Adams Donnelly
          > 708-227-7447
          >
          > ------------ -- Original message ------------ --
          > From: Theresa Stevens <tstevens_pers@ yahoo.com>
          > The ladies in my aran knitting e-group all love the< BR>> four Barbara
          > Walker stitch dictionaries. They're constantly
          > debating which is best
          > or celebrating because they've just completed the
          > set. I think only
          > books three and four are charted -- and watch out,
          > because Barbara
          > Walker also has a stitch dictionary of mosaic
          > patterns, which are not
          > part of the four-book series.
          >
          > Anyway, you might be able to find one or several at
          > the library. I
          > know the Oak Lawn library has at least one of the
          > volumes.
          >
          > I'm not all that familiar with the Vogue
          > dictionaries, but I do know
          > that volume two is the cable volume and that my aran
          > knitters group
          > has rated it a good primer, rather than a
          > comprehensive manual.
          >
          > Theresa
          >
          > --- Kris <mommy_of_mac@ yahoo.com> wrote:
          >
          > > I was look ing at the Vogue Stitchary Vol One and
          > fell in love...it
          > > would be perfect to help
          > > me decide on patterns for these dish/face clothes.
          > The bad part is
          > > the price...$30 bucks. I
          > > went to Micheals with my 50% off coupon, but they
          > didn't have the
          > > book. Was hoping I
          > > could borrow the book from one of you lovely
          > ladies at the next
          > > SnB.
          > >
          > > Also, was wondering if anyone could recommend a
          > good book on cables
          > > stitches. I saw
          > > one on Amazon, but nothing at the bookstores. I
          > would rather see
          > > what I'm getting before
          > > buying the book.
          > >
          > > Thanks for any suggestions.
          > > Kris
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > < BR>>
          ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _
          > Cheap talk?
          > Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call
          > rates.
          > http://voice. yahoo.com
          >
          >

          ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _
          Do you Yahoo!?
          Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.
          http://new.mail. yahoo.com


          Cheap Talk? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.

        • Kate Johnson
          You can photocopy a library book (or really, any book, for that matter) without it being a copyright violation as long as you only intend it for your own
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
          • 0 Attachment

            You can photocopy a library book (or really, any book, for that matter) without it being a copyright violation as long as you only intend it for your own personal use, don’t plan to distribute or reproduce it, etc. Blah, blah, blah, legalese.

             

            We have a book at the shop called Cables Untangled that’s a really useful tutorial. Also, I saw Lily Chin give a talk on cabling this weekend (she was in Burr Ridge; who knew?) and she has some awesome insights on cables – she really knows them inside and out, like, the theory of it, how to come up with what you want, etc. I know there are a couple of her patterns that go over some of her principles (i.e., anything with “reversible cable” in the title), but I think she’s got something more extensive in one of her collection books somewhere, too. It’s worth investigating, and I think they’re fairly cheap. Also, if you emailed her through the website, she might be willing to either help or point you in the right direction. She might not be Barbara Walker, but she is one seriously cool lady.

             


            From: SouthSuburbanSnB@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SouthSuburbanSnB@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of donnellyja@...
            Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 5:38 PM
            To: SouthSuburbanSnB@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [SouthSuburbanSnB] Stitch Pattern Books

             

            Check out this link: http://swan. sls.lib.il. us/

            You can do everything from here, I think you can even order books on interlibrary loan from home, then your local library will call you when it arrives and hold it for you.

             

            And, for some reason, it is apparently NOT a copyright violation to photocopy library books. or so I understand. My own, dinky Crestwood library has Textured Knits, which has two nice sweater patterns I copied out for myself.

             

            Get on that Alice Starmore if you have any interest- her books are like hen's teeth. Whatever that means!

             

            Oh, and I miss you guys (ladies!) things are slowing down now. I should be back after Thanksgiving!

             

            One last thing- Knitting Etc. is giving double punches on loyalty cards through the 22nd- you get twice as many punches for your purchases.

             

            --
            Jennifer Adams Donnelly
            708-227-7447

             

            ------------ -- Original message ------------ --
            From: aleta stoler <stoler2001@yahoo. com>

            You could call and ask if they have it. They can then look up the book on their system and tell you where it is. They can also transfer a book from one library to another if you ask nicely.

            KRISTEN CARLSON <mommy_of_mac@ yahoo.com> wrote:

            I've been to the Flossmoor and Homewood Libraries -
            they don't have much of a selection. I really need to
            widen my searches next time I go and take advantage of
            the interlibrary idea.

            --- donnellyja@comcast. net wrote:

            > I was at the Orland Park Library the other day and
            > noticed an Alice Starmore book on Arans. I didn't
            > have time to look through it, but it's probably very
            > interesting. You could get it brought to your local
            > library through interlibrary loan- or you could go
            > check it out. The villages all honor each other's
            > library cards.
            >
            > --
            > Jennifer Adams Donnelly
            > 708-227-7447
            >
            > ------------ -- Original message ------------ --
            > From: Theresa Stevens <tstevens_pers@ yahoo.com>
            > The ladies in my aran knitting e-group all love the BR>> four Barbara
            > Walker stitch dictionaries. They're constantly
            > debating which is best
            > or celebrating because they've just completed the
            > set. I think only
            > books three and four are charted -- and watch out,
            > because Barbara
            > Walker also has a stitch dictionary of mosaic
            > patterns, which are not
            > part of the four-book series.
            >
            > Anyway, you might be able to find one or several at
            > the library. I
            > know the Oak Lawn library has at least one of the
            > volumes.
            >
            > I'm not all that familiar with the Vogue
            > dictionaries, but I do know
            > that volume two is the cable volume and that my aran
            > knitters group
            > has rated it a good primer, rather than a
            > comprehensive manual.
            >
            > Theresa
            >
            > --- Kris <mommy_of_mac@ yahoo.com> wrote:
            >
            > > I was look ing at the Vogue Stitchary Vol One and
            > fell in love...it
            > > would be perfect to help
            > > me decide on patterns for these dish/face clothes.
            > The bad part is
            > > the price...$30 bucks. I
            > > went to Micheals with my 50% off coupon, but they
            > didn't have the
            > > book. Was hoping I
            > > could borrow the book from one of you lovely
            > ladies at the next
            > > SnB.
            > >
            > > Also, was wondering if anyone could recommend a
            > good book on cables
            > > stitches. I saw
            > > one on Amazon, but nothing at the bookstores. I
            > would rather see
            > > what I'm getting before
            > > buying the book.
            > >
            > > Thanks for any suggestions.
            > > Kris
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > BR>>
            ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _
            > Cheap talk?
            > Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call
            > rates.
            > http://voice. yahoo.com
            >
            >

            ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _
            Do you Yahoo!?
            Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.
            http://new.mail. yahoo.com

             


            Cheap Talk? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.

          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.