Stitch Pattern Books

  • Kris
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
      I was looking at the Vogue Stitchary Vol One and fell in love...it would be perfect to help
      me decide on patterns for these dish/face clothes. The bad part is the price...$30 bucks. I
      went to Micheals with my 50% off coupon, but they didn't have the book. Was hoping I
      could borrow the book from one of you lovely ladies at the next SnB.

      Also, was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on cables stitches. I saw
      one on Amazon, but nothing at the bookstores. I would rather see what I'm getting before
      buying the book.

      Thanks for any suggestions.
      Kris
    • Rebecca Stoler
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
        I'll bring my copy this week.  I'd suggest the Vogue 2 stichionary for cables.  It's also 30 bucks.  If you have a BnN membership though, you get 20% off . . .

        On 11/13/06, Kris <mommy_of_mac@...> wrote:

        I was looking at the Vogue Stitchary Vol One and fell in love...it would be perfect to help
        me decide on patterns for these dish/face clothes. The bad part is the price...$30 bucks. I
        went to Micheals with my 50% off coupon, but they didn't have the book. Was hoping I
        could borrow the book from one of you lovely ladies at the next SnB.

        Also, was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on cables stitches. I saw
        one on Amazon, but nothing at the bookstores. I would rather see what I'm getting before
        buying the book.

        Thanks for any suggestions.

        Dreams are born in the heart and mind and only there can they ever die.

        http://k2p2.net/
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
          The ladies in my aran knitting e-group all love the four Barbara
          Walker stitch dictionaries. They're constantly debating which is best
          or celebrating because they've just completed the set. I think only
          books three and four are charted -- and watch out, because Barbara
          Walker also has a stitch dictionary of mosaic patterns, which are not
          part of the four-book series.

          Anyway, you might be able to find one or several at the library. I
          know the Oak Lawn library has at least one of the volumes.

          I'm not all that familiar with the Vogue dictionaries, but I do know
          that volume two is the cable volume and that my aran knitters group
          has rated it a good primer, rather than a comprehensive manual.

          Theresa

          --- Kris <mommy_of_mac@...> wrote:

          > I was looking at the Vogue Stitchary Vol One and fell in love...it
          > would be perfect to help
          > me decide on patterns for these dish/face clothes. The bad part is
          > the price...$30 bucks. I
          > went to Micheals with my 50% off coupon, but they didn't have the
          > book. Was hoping I
          > could borrow the book from one of you lovely ladies at the next
          > SnB.
          >
          > Also, was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on cables
          > stitches. I saw
          > one on Amazon, but nothing at the bookstores. I would rather see
          > what I'm getting before
          > buying the book.
          >
          > Thanks for any suggestions.

          Cheap talk?
          http://voice.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
            I was at the Orland Park Library the other day and noticed an Alice Starmore book on Arans. I didn't have time to look through it, but it's probably very interesting. You could get it brought to your local library through interlibrary loan- or you could go check it out. The villages all honor each other's library cards.

            --
            Jennifer Adams Donnelly
            708-227-7447

            From: Theresa Stevens <tstevens_pers@...>

            --- Kris <mommy_of_mac@ yahoo.com> wrote:

            > I was looking at the Vogue Stitchary Vol One and fell in love...it
            > would be perfect to help
            > me decide on pat terns for these dish/face clothes. The bad part is
            > the price...$30 bucks. I
            > went to Micheals with my 50% off coupon, but they didn't have the
            > book. Was hoping I
            > could borrow the book from one of you lovely ladies at the next
            > SnB.
            >
            > Also, was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on cables
            > stitches. I saw
            > one on Amazon, but nothing at the bookstores. I would rather see
            > what I'm getting before
            > buying the book.
            >
            > Thanks for any suggestions.

            Cheap talk?
            http://voice. yahoo.com

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
              Thanks Becca! I didn't really get a chance to look
              thru the Vol2...I'm intrigued:)

              --- Rebecca Stoler <tzurriz@...> wrote:

              > I'll bring my copy this week. I'd suggest the Vogue
              > 2 stichionary for
              > cables. It's also 30 bucks. If you have a BnN
              > membership though, you get
              > 20% off . . .
              >
              > On 11/13/06, Kris <mommy_of_mac@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I was looking at the Vogue Stitchary Vol One and
              > fell in love...it would
              > > be perfect to help
              > > me decide on patterns for these dish/face clothes.
              > The bad part is the
              > > price...$30 bucks. I
              > > went to Micheals with my 50% off coupon, but they
              > didn't have the book.
              > > Was hoping I
              > > could borrow the book from one of you lovely
              > ladies at the next SnB.
              > >
              > > Also, was wondering if anyone could recommend a
              > good book on cables
              > > stitches. I saw
              > > one on Amazon, but nothing at the bookstores. I
              > would rather see what I'm
              > > getting before
              > > buying the book.
              > >
              > > Thanks for any suggestions.
              > > Kris
              > >

              > --
              > Dreams are born in the heart and mind and only there
              > can they ever die.
              >
              > http://k2p2.net/

              Yahoo! Music Unlimited
              Access over 1 million songs.
              http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
                I've seen the Walker covers before, but haven't gotten
                to look thru them. Might have to put one of these
                books on My Holiday gift list:)

                Cheap talk?
                http://voice.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
                  I've been to the Flossmoor and Homewood Libraries -
                  they don't have much of a selection. I really need to
                  widen my searches next time I go and take advantage of
                  the interlibrary idea.

                  http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
                    The Walker books are really, really cool. Each volume has some cables in it. I have 1-3, I think. I don't think I have 4. I would bring them if I was coming this week, but we're leaving for Florida Wednesday and I will be in Chattanooga by SnB time!

                    --
                    Jennifer Adams Donnelly
                    708-227-7447

                    From: KRISTEN CARLSON <mommy_of_mac@...>

                    --- Theresa Stevens <tstevens_pers@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                    > The ladies in my aran knitting e-group all love the
                    > four Barbara
                    > Walker stitch dictionaries. They're constantly
                    > debating which is best
                    > or celebrating because they've just completed the
                    > set. I think only
                    > books three and four are charted -- and watch out,
                    > because Barbara
                    > Walker also has a stitch dictionary of mosaic
                    > patterns, which are not
                    > part of the four-book series.
                    >
                    > Anyway, you might be able to find one or several at
                    > the library. I
                    > know the Oak Lawn library has at least one of the
                    > volumes.
                    >
                    > I'm not all that familiar with the Vogue
                    > dictionaries, but I do know
                    > that volume two is the cable volume and that my aran
                    > knitters group
                    > has rated it a good primer, rather than a
                    > comprehensive manual.
                    >
                    > Theresa
                    >

                    > --- Kris <mommy_of_mac@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I was looking at the Vogue Stitchary Vol One and
                    > fell in love...it
                    > > would be perfect to help
                    > > me decide on patterns for these dish/face clothes.
                    > The bad part is
                    > > the price...$30 bucks. I
                    > > went to Micheals with my 50% off coupon, but they
                    > didn't have the
                    > > book. Was hoping I
                    > > could borrow the book from one of you lovely
                    > ladies at the next
                    > > SnB.
                    > >
                    > > Also, was wondering if anyone could recommend a
                    > good book on cables
                    > > stitches. I saw
                    > > one on Amazon, but nothing at the bookstores. I
                    > wou ld rather see
                    > > what I'm getting before
                    > > buying the book.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for any suggestions.
                    > > Kris

                    > Cheap talk?
                    > Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call
                    > rates.
                    > http://voice. yahoo.com

                    Cheap talk?
                    http://voice. yahoo.com

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
                      Oh what fun!! a vacation...can I come? I totally need
                      a holiday. I'm hoping to get the Wed before
                      Thanksgiving off just to extend the time.

                      Enjoy Jen!

                      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
                        You could call and ask if they have it. They can then look up the book on their system and tell you where it is. They can also transfer a book from one library to another if you ask nicely.

                        --- donnellyja@comcast. net wrote:

                        > I was at the Orland Park Library the other day and
                        > noticed an Alice Starmore book on Arans. I didn't
                        > have time to look through it, but it's probably very
                        > interesting. You could get it brought to your local
                        > library through interlibrary loan- or you could go
                        > check it out. The villages all honor each other's
                        > library cards.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Jennifer Adams Donnelly
                        > 708-227-7447

                        > From: Theresa Stevens <tstevens_pers@ yahoo.com>
                        > The ladies in my aran knitting e-group all love the
                        > four Barbara
                        > Walker stitch dictionaries. They're constantly
                        > debating which is best
                        > or celebrating because they've just completed the
                        > set. I think only
                        > books three and four are charted -- and watch out,
                        > because Barbara
                        > Walker also has a stitch dictionary of mosaic
                        > patterns, which are not
                        > part of the four-book series.
                        >
                        > Anyway, you might be able to find one or several at
                        > the library. I
                        > know the Oak Lawn library has at least one of the
                        > volumes.
                        >
                        > I'm not all that familiar with the Vogue
                        > dictionaries, but I do know
                        > that volume two is the cable volume and that my aran
                        > knitters group
                        > has rated it a good primer, rather than a
                        > comprehensive manual.
                        >
                        > Theresa
                        >
                        > --- Kris <mommy_of_mac@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I was looking at the Vogue Stitchary Vol One and
                        > fell in love...it
                        > > would be perfect to help
                        > > me decide on patterns for these dish/face clothes.
                        > The bad part is
                        > > the price...$30 bucks. I
                        > > went to Micheals with my 50% off coupon, but they
                        > didn't have the
                        > > book. Was hoping I
                        > > could borrow the book from one of you lovely
                        > ladies at the next
                        > > SnB.
                        > >
                        > > Also, was wondering if anyone could recommend a
                        > good book on cables
                        > > stitches. I saw
                        > > one on Amazon, but nothing at the bookstores. I
                        > would rather see
                        > > what I'm getting before
                        > > buying the book.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for any suggestions.
                        > > Kris

                        > Cheap talk?
                        > Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call
                        > rates.
                        > http://voice. yahoo.com

                        Do you Yahoo!?
                        http://new.mail. yahoo.com

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
                          Aran Knitting? I love this book. It's absurdly expensive -- I saw one
                          copy recently for $495.00 -- but the patterns are beautiful. There's
                          one in particular that I yearn to make, but Alice Starmore herself
                          rates it an heirloom piece that would require much patience to knit.
                          In other words, it scares me! <g>

                          Theresa

                          --- donnellyja@... wrote:

                          > I was at the Orland Park Library the other day and noticed an Alice
                          > Starmore book on Arans.

                          Cheap talk?
                          http://voice.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006
                            Check out this link: http://swan.sls.lib.il.us/
                            You can do everything from here, I think you can even order books on interlibrary loan from home, then your local library will call you when it arrives and hold it for you.

                            And, for some reason, it is apparently NOT a copyright violation to photocopy library books. or so I understand. My own, dinky Crestwood library has Textured Knits, which has two nice sweater patterns I copied out for myself.

                            Get on that Alice Starmore if you have any interest- her books are like hen's teeth. Whatever that means!

                            Oh, and I miss you guys (ladies!) things are slowing down now. I should be back after Thanksgiving!

                            One last thing- Knitting Etc. is giving double punches on loyalty cards through the 22nd- you get twice as many punches for your purchases.

                            --
                            Jennifer Adams Donnelly
                            708-227-7447

                            From: aleta stoler <stoler2001@...>

                            KRISTEN CARLSON <mommy_of_mac@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                            I've been to the Flossmoor and Homewood Libraries -
                            they don't have much of a selection. I really need to
                            widen my searches next time I go and take advantage of
                            the interlibrary idea.

                            --- donnellyja@comcast. net wrote:

                            > I was at the Orland Park Library the other day and
                            > noticed an Alice Starmore book on Arans. I didn't
                            > have time to look through it, but it's probably very
                            > interesting. You could get it brought to your local
                            > library through interlibrary loan- or you could go
                            > check it out. The villages all honor each other's
                            > library cards.
                            >
                            > --
                            > Jennifer Adams Donnelly
                            > 708-227-7447

                            > From: Theresa Stevens <tstevens_pers@ yahoo.com>
                            > The ladies in my aran knitting e-group all love the< BR>> four Barbara
                            > Walker stitch dictionaries. They're constantly
                            > debating which is best
                            > or celebrating because they've just completed the
                            > set. I think only
                            > books three and four are charted -- and watch out,
                            > because Barbara
                            > Walker also has a stitch dictionary of mosaic
                            > patterns, which are not
                            > part of the four-book series.
                            >
                            > Anyway, you might be able to find one or several at
                            > the library. I
                            > know the Oak Lawn library has at least one of the
                            > volumes.
                            >
                            > I'm not all that familiar with the Vogue
                            > dictionaries, but I do know
                            > that volume two is the cable volume and that my aran
                            > knitters group
                            > has rated it a good primer, rather than a
                            > comprehensive manual.
                            >
                            > Theresa
                            >
                            > --- Kris <mommy_of_mac@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                            >
                            > > I was look ing at the Vogue Stitchary Vol One and
                            > fell in love...it
                            > > would be perfect to help
                            > > me decide on patterns for these dish/face clothes.
                            > The bad part is
                            > > the price...$30 bucks. I
                            > > went to Micheals with my 50% off coupon, but they
                            > didn't have the
                            > > book. Was hoping I
                            > > could borrow the book from one of you lovely
                            > ladies at the next
                            > > SnB.
                            > >
                            > > Also, was wondering if anyone could recommend a
                            > good book on cables
                            > > stitches. I saw
                            > > one on Amazon, but nothing at the bookstores. I
                            > would rather see
                            > > what I'm getting before
                            > > buying the book.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks for any suggestions.
                            > > Kris
                            > >

                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                            > >

                            > < BR>>
                            > Cheap talk?
                            > Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call
                            > rates.
                            > http://voice. yahoo.com

                            Do you Yahoo!?
                            http://new.mail. yahoo.com

                          • Kate Johnson
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 13, 2006

                              You can photocopy a library book (or really, any book, for that matter) without it being a copyright violation as long as you only intend it for your own personal use, don’t plan to distribute or reproduce it, etc. Blah, blah, blah, legalese.

                              We have a book at the shop called Cables Untangled that’s a really useful tutorial. Also, I saw Lily Chin give a talk on cabling this weekend (she was in Burr Ridge; who knew?) and she has some awesome insights on cables – she really knows them inside and out, like, the theory of it, how to come up with what you want, etc. I know there are a couple of her patterns that go over some of her principles (i.e., anything with “reversible cable” in the title), but I think she’s got something more extensive in one of her collection books somewhere, too. It’s worth investigating, and I think they’re fairly cheap. Also, if you emailed her through the website, she might be willing to either help or point you in the right direction. She might not be Barbara Walker, but she is one seriously cool lady.

                              From: aleta stoler <stoler2001@yahoo. com>

                              You could call and ask if they have it. They can then look up the book on their system and tell you where it is. They can also transfer a book from one library to another if you ask nicely.

                              KRISTEN CARLSON <mommy_of_mac@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                              I've been to the Flossmoor and Homewood Libraries -
                              they don't have much of a selection. I really need to
                              widen my searches next time I go and take advantage of
                              the interlibrary idea.

                              --- donnellyja@comcast. net wrote:

                              > I was at the Orland Park Library the other day and
                              > noticed an Alice Starmore book on Arans. I didn't
                              > have time to look through it, but it's probably very
                              > interesting. You could get it brought to your local
                              > library through interlibrary loan- or you could go
                              > check it out. The villages all honor each other's
                              > library cards.
                              >
                              > --
                              > Jennifer Adams Donnelly
                              > 708-227-7447

                              > From: Theresa Stevens <tstevens_pers@ yahoo.com>
                              > The ladies in my aran knitting e-group all love the BR>> four Barbara
                              > Walker stitch dictionaries. They're constantly
                              > debating which is best
                              > or celebrating because they've just completed the
                              > set. I think only
                              > books three and four are charted -- and watch out,
                              > because Barbara
                              > Walker also has a stitch dictionary of mosaic
                              > patterns, which are not
                              > part of the four-book series.
                              >
                              > Anyway, you might be able to find one or several at
                              > the library. I
                              > know the Oak Lawn library has at least one of the
                              > volumes.
                              >
                              > I'm not all that familiar with the Vogue
                              > dictionaries, but I do know
                              > that volume two is the cable volume and that my aran
                              > knitters group
                              > has rated it a good primer, rather than a
                              > comprehensive manual.
                              >
                              > Theresa
                              >
                              > --- Kris <mommy_of_mac@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                              >
                              > > I was look ing at the Vogue Stitchary Vol One and
                              > fell in love...it
                              > > would be perfect to help
                              > > me decide on patterns for these dish/face clothes.
                              > The bad part is
                              > > the price...$30 bucks. I
                              > > went to Micheals with my 50% off coupon, but they
                              > didn't have the
                              > > book. Was hoping I
                              > > could borrow the book from one of you lovely
                              > ladies at the next
                              > > SnB.
                              > >
                              > > Also, was wondering if anyone could recommend a
                              > good book on cables
                              > > stitches. I saw
                              > > one on Amazon, but nothing at the bookstores. I
                              > would rather see
                              > > what I'm getting before
                              > > buying the book.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks for any suggestions.
                              > > Kris

                              > Cheap talk?
                              > Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call
                              > rates.
                              > http://voice. yahoo.com

                              Do you Yahoo!?
                              http://new.mail. yahoo.com