Yarn for clapotis

  • Mary Bridget
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 25, 2006
      To the ladies who have done this project:

      What weight of yarn did you use? It calls for a worsted weight yarn,
      but Becca's and Kris's clapotises seem to be of a lighter weight of
      yarn.

      mb
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 25, 2006
        The Silk/Wool yarn I used was a DK weight. If I would
        have used a thicker yarn, wrapping the clapotis as a
        scarf would be to bulky for my liking. Using something
        light gives you more options. I would go with a
        sport/finger weight...I was thinking of using sock
        yarn on a possible future clapotis project.

        --good luck MB!

        Kris

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 25, 2006
          Mine was done with sock yarn- if I can come Wednesday I will wear it- I think I will need it on Wednesday!

          --
          Jennifer Adams Donnelly
          708-227-7447

          From: KRISTEN CARLSON <mommy_of_mac@...>

          http://mail. yahoo.co m

            From: KRISTEN CARLSON <mommy_of_mac@ yahoo.com>

            http://mail. yahoo.co m

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 26, 2006
              I've heard of people using a double strand of shimmer. I recall there were some photos posted somewhere... this is over a year ago now. Consider joining the Yahoo Clapotis knitalong. The link is: ok, nevermind. I just went over there, and they're not accepting new members. Let me know if you want me to look up anything, they have a database of yarns used and photos.
              --
              Jennifer Adams Donnelly
              708-227-7447

              From: KRISTEN CARLSON <mommy_of_mac@ yahoo.com>
              The Silk/Wool yarn I used was a DK weight. If I would
              have used a thicker yarn, wrapping the clapotis as a
              scarf would be to bulky for my liking. Using something
              light gives you more options. I would go with a
              sport/finger weight...I was thinking of using sock
              yarn on a possible future clapotis project.

              --good luck MB!

              Kris

              --- Mary Bridget <elefink2@yahoo. com> wrote:

              > To the ladies who have done this project:
              >
              > What weight of yarn did you use? It calls for a
              > worsted weight yarn,
              > but Becca's and Kris's clapotises seem to be of a
              > lighter weight of
              > yarn.
              >
              > mb

              http://mail. yahoo. co m

              Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1�/min.

            • Mary Bridget
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006
                How much yarn, in yards did your clapotis take? What weight of yarn
                did you use?

                I just ordered 4 skiens, at about 400 yards each, of a waste silk
                yarn. It's white and I'm gonna dye it with Kool-aid. I'm wondering
                how many clapotises can be made.
              • Kate Johnson
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006

                  You know, I always wondered what the plural of “clapotis” would be....

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 30, 2006
                    I would have voted for Clapoti with a long i.

                    --
                    Jennifer Adams Donnelly

                    From: "Kate Johnson" <kate.johnson.md@...>

                    You know, I always wondered what the plural of �clapotis� would be....

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 30, 2006
                      The pattern calls for:
                      Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb [50% silk, 50% wool; 205yd/184m per 100g
                      skein]; color: Bittersweet; 4 skeins

                      4 skeins at 205 yards each is 820 yards. I think I actually used more
                      like 800 yards. I used asock-weight yarn the first time, and a dk
                      the second time.

                      One the beauties of Clapotis is that the yarn weight doesn't really
                      matter. I wouldn't use a super bulky, but anything up to a worsted is
                      fine.

                      I think, with the yarn you bought, you could make 2. Or, you could
                      make one that has a few more repeats and is bigger.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
                        I used the Silky Wool (192 yds/50g) and used 3 skeins
                        ...and don't have much left over from that last ball.
                        It sounds like you'll can get 2 or even 3 clap's out
                        of the silk. Dying your own sounds like so much
                        fun...love to get some pointers on that:)