RE: [SouthSuburbanSnB] Re: Looking for a sock pattern.

  • Kate Johnson
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24 7:33 PM

      Awesome, Becca, thanks for sharing that.

      Mary – I just started knitting socks myself, so I have a pile of patterns all of a sudden! Sensational Knitted Socks is a good book with a nice standard pattern and good variations to work up to. Big Girl Knits has an awesome build-your-own-sock pattern that’s basically a chart, with some minor math...I’m hoping to make it into a spreadsheet, actually, that does the math for you...if anyone wants it, email me direct, maybe that’ll motivate me. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee’s Knitting Rules book has a nice sock recipe as well. And if you’re in the area, the ladies over at Knitting, Etc on 143rd and LaGrange Road have a binder full of sock patterns and an equal amount of strong opinions about which one is best.

      Not for nothing, I was cautioned against starting with a toe-up sock if you’ve never done a sock before, although I’m told the Widdershins (Knitty) pattern may convert you forever. I don’t know why exactly it’s better to start with a top down sock, but, that’s what they tell me, and I’m just glad to have more than scarves in my repertoire these days...

      Hope to actually make it to a meeting soon!

      Kate

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 25 12:06 PM
        MB

        I think pattern is KEY for first time sock knitters.
        For my first sock, I got sucked into doing some
        pattern suggested by a employee of a shop and really
        it wasn't what I would have picked for my first sock
        and that's why I never finished the pair.

        The Jaywalkers, as Theresa pointed out is
        online...(thanks for the complement T) and this
        pattern is simple enough to learn sock knitting
        from... now, if you want I can bring my Socks, Socks,
        Socks by: Elaine Rowley for you to borrow come the
        next meeting. This book has all types, lace, toe up,
        ankle down, easy - experienced...plus the benefit of
        detailed instructions on all sections that make up the
        sock (ankle, heal, gusset, instep, etc...). In the end
        you'll find the pattern that fits you, but I know that
        unless you love the pattern, you wont be to excited
        about doing sock number 2... then you be stuck with
        SSS -second sock syndrome:)

        Peace and Happy Knitting
        Kris