Re: Looking for a sock pattern.

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24, 2006
      Here is my basic, generic sock pattern:

      For my size 8 feet (you'll have to modify this to fit your foot).

      cuff and leg:
      I cast on 52 stitches over two needles (size 2 dpn's).
      Knit 2 Purl 2 ribbing, divide the stitches over 4 needles
      Join, being careful not to twist.
      continue rib pattern for 1 inch.
      Switch to stockinette for entire leg portion of sock (2 - 5 inches)

      create heel flap:
      using 1/2 of stitches now, ignore 2 needles.
      stockinette across 26 stitches until you have a perfect square
      (k 1 row, p 1 row)

      turn heel: (slip first stitch in each row)
      knit across to last 7 stitches, turn work
      purl across to last 7 stitches, turn work
      knit across to gap, knit 2 stitches on each side of gap together, turn
      work
      purl across to gap, purl 2 stitches on each side of gap together, turn
      work
      repeat last two rows until only 12 stitches remain. (heel is now turned)

      gusset:
      end heel turn with knit row. pick up stitches along side to instep
      stitches, k across instep, pick up stitches along other side to heel.
      return to knitting in the round.
      1. k 1 row *place marker at center of heel stitches*
      2. k across heel and picked up stitches. K2together at beginning of
      instep, k across instep. K2together through back loop at end of
      instep, k back to marker.
      repeat rows 1 and 2 until 52 stitches.

      foot:
      knit in stockinette to length of foot minus 1 inch. (7.5 inches in my
      case)

      toe:
      k2 together on each side of foot (toe decreases) every row for one
      inch (try sock on to make sure it fits!)

      Bind off using three needle bind off.

      Repeat for second sock.

      ;)
    • Kate Johnson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2006

        Awesome, Becca, thanks for sharing that.

        Mary – I just started knitting socks myself, so I have a pile of patterns all of a sudden! Sensational Knitted Socks is a good book with a nice standard pattern and good variations to work up to. Big Girl Knits has an awesome build-your-own-sock pattern that’s basically a chart, with some minor math...I’m hoping to make it into a spreadsheet, actually, that does the math for you...if anyone wants it, email me direct, maybe that’ll motivate me. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee’s Knitting Rules book has a nice sock recipe as well. And if you’re in the area, the ladies over at Knitting, Etc on 143rd and LaGrange Road have a binder full of sock patterns and an equal amount of strong opinions about which one is best.

        Not for nothing, I was cautioned against starting with a toe-up sock if you’ve never done a sock before, although I’m told the Widdershins (Knitty) pattern may convert you forever. I don’t know why exactly it’s better to start with a top down sock, but, that’s what they tell me, and I’m just glad to have more than scarves in my repertoire these days...

        Hope to actually make it to a meeting soon!

        Kate

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 25, 2006
          MB

          I think pattern is KEY for first time sock knitters.
          For my first sock, I got sucked into doing some
          pattern suggested by a employee of a shop and really
          it wasn't what I would have picked for my first sock
          and that's why I never finished the pair.

          The Jaywalkers, as Theresa pointed out is
          online...(thanks for the complement T) and this
          pattern is simple enough to learn sock knitting
          from... now, if you want I can bring my Socks, Socks,
          Socks by: Elaine Rowley for you to borrow come the
          next meeting. This book has all types, lace, toe up,
          ankle down, easy - experienced...plus the benefit of
          detailed instructions on all sections that make up the
          sock (ankle, heal, gusset, instep, etc...). In the end
          you'll find the pattern that fits you, but I know that
          unless you love the pattern, you wont be to excited
          about doing sock number 2... then you be stuck with
          SSS -second sock syndrome:)

          Peace and Happy Knitting
          Kris