Re: [SouthSuburbanSnB] Looking for a sock pattern.

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24, 2006
      Hi Mary Bridget,

      The jaywalker pattern is at magknits.
      http://magknits.com/Sept05/patterns/jaywalker.htm
      Kris made these and wore them to Stitches Midwest, and they looked
      great! It's a really popular pattern.

      Another similar pattern is the Broad Ripple Sock (so named because it
      was designed at the Broad Ripple art fair in Indy), designed for
      cotton elastic sock yarn.
      http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/PATTbroadripple.html

      Both of these are basically ripple stitch socks. If you nose around
      the free pattern sites, you'll find oodles of other good free sock
      patterns -- plain, cabled, lace, colorwork, you name it.

      Theresa

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2006
        Here is my basic, generic sock pattern:

        For my size 8 feet (you'll have to modify this to fit your foot).

        cuff and leg:
        I cast on 52 stitches over two needles (size 2 dpn's).
        Knit 2 Purl 2 ribbing, divide the stitches over 4 needles
        Join, being careful not to twist.
        continue rib pattern for 1 inch.
        Switch to stockinette for entire leg portion of sock (2 - 5 inches)

        create heel flap:
        using 1/2 of stitches now, ignore 2 needles.
        stockinette across 26 stitches until you have a perfect square
        (k 1 row, p 1 row)

        turn heel: (slip first stitch in each row)
        knit across to last 7 stitches, turn work
        purl across to last 7 stitches, turn work
        knit across to gap, knit 2 stitches on each side of gap together, turn
        work
        purl across to gap, purl 2 stitches on each side of gap together, turn
        work
        repeat last two rows until only 12 stitches remain. (heel is now turned)

        gusset:
        end heel turn with knit row. pick up stitches along side to instep
        stitches, k across instep, pick up stitches along other side to heel.
        return to knitting in the round.
        1. k 1 row *place marker at center of heel stitches*
        2. k across heel and picked up stitches. K2together at beginning of
        instep, k across instep. K2together through back loop at end of
        instep, k back to marker.
        repeat rows 1 and 2 until 52 stitches.

        foot:
        knit in stockinette to length of foot minus 1 inch. (7.5 inches in my
        case)

        toe:
        k2 together on each side of foot (toe decreases) every row for one
        inch (try sock on to make sure it fits!)

        Bind off using three needle bind off.

        Repeat for second sock.

        ;)
      • Kate Johnson
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24, 2006

          Awesome, Becca, thanks for sharing that.

          Mary – I just started knitting socks myself, so I have a pile of patterns all of a sudden! Sensational Knitted Socks is a good book with a nice standard pattern and good variations to work up to. Big Girl Knits has an awesome build-your-own-sock pattern that’s basically a chart, with some minor math...I’m hoping to make it into a spreadsheet, actually, that does the math for you...if anyone wants it, email me direct, maybe that’ll motivate me. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee’s Knitting Rules book has a nice sock recipe as well. And if you’re in the area, the ladies over at Knitting, Etc on 143rd and LaGrange Road have a binder full of sock patterns and an equal amount of strong opinions about which one is best.

          Not for nothing, I was cautioned against starting with a toe-up sock if you’ve never done a sock before, although I’m told the Widdershins (Knitty) pattern may convert you forever. I don’t know why exactly it’s better to start with a top down sock, but, that’s what they tell me, and I’m just glad to have more than scarves in my repertoire these days...

          Hope to actually make it to a meeting soon!

          Kate

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 25, 2006
            MB

            I think pattern is KEY for first time sock knitters.
            For my first sock, I got sucked into doing some
            pattern suggested by a employee of a shop and really
            it wasn't what I would have picked for my first sock
            and that's why I never finished the pair.

            The Jaywalkers, as Theresa pointed out is
            online...(thanks for the complement T) and this
            pattern is simple enough to learn sock knitting
            from... now, if you want I can bring my Socks, Socks,
            Socks by: Elaine Rowley for you to borrow come the
            next meeting. This book has all types, lace, toe up,
            ankle down, easy - experienced...plus the benefit of
            detailed instructions on all sections that make up the
            sock (ankle, heal, gusset, instep, etc...). In the end
            you'll find the pattern that fits you, but I know that
            unless you love the pattern, you wont be to excited
            about doing sock number 2... then you be stuck with
            SSS -second sock syndrome:)

            Peace and Happy Knitting
            Kris