Looking for a sock pattern.

  • Mary Bridget
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24 11:19 AM
      Ladies, I have some wool sock yarn, and want to make my first pair of
      socks. Some of you have worked on one called "Jaywalkers" or
      something similar. Is this pattern available online, or do you have
      another good pattern you can point me to?

      mb
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24 11:38 AM
        How much yarn do you have, and what weight? I would actually do a gauge swatch and use the toe-up universal pattern in the most recent Knitty. I have a great basic sock pattern, but it is top-down. I have it in two weights, so if you'd like you can borrow it.

        --
        Jennifer Adams Donnelly
        708-227-7447

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24 11:53 AM
          Hi Mary Bridget,

          The jaywalker pattern is at magknits.
          http://magknits.com/Sept05/patterns/jaywalker.htm
          Kris made these and wore them to Stitches Midwest, and they looked
          great! It's a really popular pattern.

          Another similar pattern is the Broad Ripple Sock (so named because it
          was designed at the Broad Ripple art fair in Indy), designed for
          cotton elastic sock yarn.
          http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/PATTbroadripple.html

          Both of these are basically ripple stitch socks. If you nose around
          the free pattern sites, you'll find oodles of other good free sock
          patterns -- plain, cabled, lace, colorwork, you name it.

          Theresa

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24 4:14 PM
            Here is my basic, generic sock pattern:

            For my size 8 feet (you'll have to modify this to fit your foot).

            cuff and leg:
            I cast on 52 stitches over two needles (size 2 dpn's).
            Knit 2 Purl 2 ribbing, divide the stitches over 4 needles
            Join, being careful not to twist.
            continue rib pattern for 1 inch.
            Switch to stockinette for entire leg portion of sock (2 - 5 inches)

            create heel flap:
            using 1/2 of stitches now, ignore 2 needles.
            stockinette across 26 stitches until you have a perfect square
            (k 1 row, p 1 row)

            turn heel: (slip first stitch in each row)
            knit across to last 7 stitches, turn work
            purl across to last 7 stitches, turn work
            knit across to gap, knit 2 stitches on each side of gap together, turn
            work
            purl across to gap, purl 2 stitches on each side of gap together, turn
            work
            repeat last two rows until only 12 stitches remain. (heel is now turned)

            gusset:
            end heel turn with knit row. pick up stitches along side to instep
            stitches, k across instep, pick up stitches along other side to heel.
            return to knitting in the round.
            1. k 1 row *place marker at center of heel stitches*
            2. k across heel and picked up stitches. K2together at beginning of
            instep, k across instep. K2together through back loop at end of
            instep, k back to marker.
            repeat rows 1 and 2 until 52 stitches.

            foot:
            knit in stockinette to length of foot minus 1 inch. (7.5 inches in my
            case)

            toe:
            k2 together on each side of foot (toe decreases) every row for one
            inch (try sock on to make sure it fits!)

            Bind off using three needle bind off.

            Repeat for second sock.

            ;)
          • Kate Johnson
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 24 7:33 PM

              Awesome, Becca, thanks for sharing that.

              Mary – I just started knitting socks myself, so I have a pile of patterns all of a sudden! Sensational Knitted Socks is a good book with a nice standard pattern and good variations to work up to. Big Girl Knits has an awesome build-your-own-sock pattern that’s basically a chart, with some minor math...I’m hoping to make it into a spreadsheet, actually, that does the math for you...if anyone wants it, email me direct, maybe that’ll motivate me. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee’s Knitting Rules book has a nice sock recipe as well. And if you’re in the area, the ladies over at Knitting, Etc on 143rd and LaGrange Road have a binder full of sock patterns and an equal amount of strong opinions about which one is best.

              Not for nothing, I was cautioned against starting with a toe-up sock if you’ve never done a sock before, although I’m told the Widdershins (Knitty) pattern may convert you forever. I don’t know why exactly it’s better to start with a top down sock, but, that’s what they tell me, and I’m just glad to have more than scarves in my repertoire these days...

              Hope to actually make it to a meeting soon!

              Kate

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 25 12:06 PM
                MB

                I think pattern is KEY for first time sock knitters.
                For my first sock, I got sucked into doing some
                pattern suggested by a employee of a shop and really
                it wasn't what I would have picked for my first sock
                and that's why I never finished the pair.

                The Jaywalkers, as Theresa pointed out is
                online...(thanks for the complement T) and this
                pattern is simple enough to learn sock knitting
                from... now, if you want I can bring my Socks, Socks,
                Socks by: Elaine Rowley for you to borrow come the
                next meeting. This book has all types, lace, toe up,
                ankle down, easy - experienced...plus the benefit of
                detailed instructions on all sections that make up the
                sock (ankle, heal, gusset, instep, etc...). In the end
                you'll find the pattern that fits you, but I know that
                unless you love the pattern, you wont be to excited
                about doing sock number 2... then you be stuck with
                SSS -second sock syndrome:)

                Peace and Happy Knitting
                Kris