Re: [SouthSuburbanSnB] Stash and pattern exchange

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 10, 2006
      No, sorry. That's not what fair use is at all. And if you're copying
      cd's and giving them to friends, that's piracy. (If you copy
      copyrighted items you own for your personal use, there's no
      violation. It's the giving-it-to-others part that triggers a
      violation.)

      "Fair use" is not precisely defined under the copyright statutes, but
      courts have interpreted it to mean excerpts of fewer than 200 words
      from book-length works. The usage of those excerpts also factors into
      the analysis. Teachers using excerpts in the classroom are given more
      leeway than private parties. And if there's any commercial aspect to
      the use, no court in the country will deem it a fair use.

      Sorry to let my inner lawyer loose on y'all, but I just wanted to
      clear up any confusion.

      Theresa

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 10, 2006
        Theresa is right, you can't give a photocopy of a pattern away. You
        can give away (or loan) the original. You purchased the one copy, and
        can use that any way you wish. You can't copy it though for other
        than your own, personal use.

        e.g. you can copy a pattern out of a book to make notes on it, or
        carry it around with you. You can't give away the copy though.