Re: [SouthSuburbanSnB] Stash and pattern exchange

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 9, 2006
      Photocopying for your own use is fair use- for instance, so you don't have to carry a whole book around while you're working on a project. Copying and sharing with a friend is explicitly a copyright violation. Sorry! As a writer and photographer, I'm a copyright stickler! Burning a CD and giving a copy to a friend is illegal, too.

      --
      Jen Adams Donnelly

      From: M B Gentleman <elefink2@...>

      Photocopying from books for our purposes falls under fair use and is not a violation of copyright.  It is like burning a CD and giving it to a friend.

      Emily Franz <emilyfranz@comcast. net> wrote:

      I had the same idea...in addition to partial balls/skeins, we can also bring in yarn we thought we'd use, but now look and and think, " What was I thinking?"  I think it would be great to have our yarns out on the table and letting everyone pick and choose.  As far as patterns go, if you're not going to use it, bring the original and swap it for one you will use.   No copyin' necessary.

      I'm coming filled to the gills with yarns!

      EM

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 10, 2006
        No, sorry. That's not what fair use is at all. And if you're copying
        cd's and giving them to friends, that's piracy. (If you copy
        copyrighted items you own for your personal use, there's no
        violation. It's the giving-it-to-others part that triggers a
        violation.)

        "Fair use" is not precisely defined under the copyright statutes, but
        courts have interpreted it to mean excerpts of fewer than 200 words
        from book-length works. The usage of those excerpts also factors into
        the analysis. Teachers using excerpts in the classroom are given more
        leeway than private parties. And if there's any commercial aspect to
        the use, no court in the country will deem it a fair use.

        Sorry to let my inner lawyer loose on y'all, but I just wanted to
        clear up any confusion.

        Theresa

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 10, 2006
          Theresa is right, you can't give a photocopy of a pattern away. You
          can give away (or loan) the original. You purchased the one copy, and
          can use that any way you wish. You can't copy it though for other
          than your own, personal use.

          e.g. you can copy a pattern out of a book to make notes on it, or
          carry it around with you. You can't give away the copy though.