Re: [SouthSuburbanSnB] Stash and pattern exchange

  • Emily Franz
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 9, 2006
      I had the same idea...in addition to partial balls/skeins, we can also bring in yarn we thought we'd use, but now look and and think, " What was I thinking?"  I think it would be great to have our yarns out on the table and letting everyone pick and choose.  As far as patterns go, if you're not going to use it, bring the original and swap it for one you will use.   No copyin' necessary.

      I'm coming filled to the gills with yarns!

      EM
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 9, 2006
        I'm so in!!! Great Idea!

        Kris

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 9, 2006
          Photocopying from books for our purposes falls under fair use and is not a violation of copyright.  It is like burning a CD and giving it to a friend.

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 9, 2006
            Photocopying for your own use is fair use- for instance, so you don't have to carry a whole book around while you're working on a project. Copying and sharing with a friend is explicitly a copyright violation. Sorry! As a writer and photographer, I'm a copyright stickler! Burning a CD and giving a copy to a friend is illegal, too.

            --
            Jen Adams Donnelly

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 10, 2006
              No, sorry. That's not what fair use is at all. And if you're copying
              cd's and giving them to friends, that's piracy. (If you copy
              copyrighted items you own for your personal use, there's no
              violation. It's the giving-it-to-others part that triggers a
              violation.)

              "Fair use" is not precisely defined under the copyright statutes, but
              courts have interpreted it to mean excerpts of fewer than 200 words
              from book-length works. The usage of those excerpts also factors into
              the analysis. Teachers using excerpts in the classroom are given more
              leeway than private parties. And if there's any commercial aspect to
              the use, no court in the country will deem it a fair use.

              Sorry to let my inner lawyer loose on y'all, but I just wanted to
              clear up any confusion.

              Theresa

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 10, 2006
                Theresa is right, you can't give a photocopy of a pattern away. You
                can give away (or loan) the original. You purchased the one copy, and
                can use that any way you wish. You can't copy it though for other
                than your own, personal use.

                e.g. you can copy a pattern out of a book to make notes on it, or
                carry it around with you. You can't give away the copy though.