Re: Stash and pattern exchange

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 9 10:05 AM
      Nothing wrong with a yarn exchange, or with borrowing patterns, but
      photocopying violates copyright. Sorry. :(

      Becca

      --- In SouthSuburbanSnB@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Bridget" <elefink2@...>
      wrote:

      > I'd like to propose something for next week's meeting (August
      16th).
      > Eveyone has knitting books sitting around. Everyone has a stash of
      > partial balls of yarn. You know you do!
      >
      > Whip out your balls, ladies! Bring your emabarrassingly large stash
      > of patterns and some post-it notes. We'll mark patterns in each
      > other's books, xerox them, and bring copies the next week.
      >
      > What do you think?

    • Emily Franz
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 9 10:25 AM
        I had the same idea...in addition to partial balls/skeins, we can also bring in yarn we thought we'd use, but now look and and think, " What was I thinking?"  I think it would be great to have our yarns out on the table and letting everyone pick and choose.  As far as patterns go, if you're not going to use it, bring the original and swap it for one you will use.   No copyin' necessary.

        I'm coming filled to the gills with yarns!

        EM
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 9 12:55 PM
          I'm so in!!! Great Idea!

          Kris

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 9 3:55 PM
            Photocopying from books for our purposes falls under fair use and is not a violation of copyright.  It is like burning a CD and giving it to a friend.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 9 4:26 PM
              Photocopying for your own use is fair use- for instance, so you don't have to carry a whole book around while you're working on a project. Copying and sharing with a friend is explicitly a copyright violation. Sorry! As a writer and photographer, I'm a copyright stickler! Burning a CD and giving a copy to a friend is illegal, too.

              --
              Jen Adams Donnelly

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 10 9:08 AM
                No, sorry. That's not what fair use is at all. And if you're copying
                cd's and giving them to friends, that's piracy. (If you copy
                copyrighted items you own for your personal use, there's no
                violation. It's the giving-it-to-others part that triggers a
                violation.)

                "Fair use" is not precisely defined under the copyright statutes, but
                courts have interpreted it to mean excerpts of fewer than 200 words
                from book-length works. The usage of those excerpts also factors into
                the analysis. Teachers using excerpts in the classroom are given more
                leeway than private parties. And if there's any commercial aspect to
                the use, no court in the country will deem it a fair use.

                Sorry to let my inner lawyer loose on y'all, but I just wanted to
                clear up any confusion.

                Theresa

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 10 9:14 AM
                  Theresa is right, you can't give a photocopy of a pattern away. You
                  can give away (or loan) the original. You purchased the one copy, and
                  can use that any way you wish. You can't copy it though for other
                  than your own, personal use.

                  e.g. you can copy a pattern out of a book to make notes on it, or
                  carry it around with you. You can't give away the copy though.